𝟎𝟏𝟐 • 𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐜𝐮𝐬

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙊𝙉𝙂, 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗼𝘄 𝗯𝘆 𝘁𝗮𝘆𝗹𝗼𝗿 𝘀𝘄𝗶𝗳𝘁

'  The more that you say, the less I know
Wherever you stay, I follow
I'm begging for you to take my hand, wreck my plans
That's my man '

'  The more that you say, the less I knowWherever you stay, I followI'm begging for you to take my hand, wreck my plansThat's my man '

WHEN CASSIDY WOKE, she went about her normal routine as though nothing had changed. As though when she rolled out of bed and began making her bed, she wasn't instantly thinking for Bradley, surely crashed, in the other room. As though when she tied up her hair and got dressed, she wasn't wondering if his heart was beating just as quickly when he thought of her. As though she hadn't considered not running at all and spending the entire day with him, as though they were an old married couple. As though she hadn't immediately squashed that thought away, attempting to convince herself she was just nervous and was looking for a way to divert her attention away from the mission. 

She walked into the living room, seeing a fast asleep Bradley and smiled softly at him, her heartbeat picking up speed as she rushed to leave. Cassidy headed out of the apartment and down onto the street as quickly as she could. Brushed away all of her thoughts and decided to focus solely on the world around her for however moments she had. The sun was still rising, casting a dark orange glow on the sidewalk and the few people below. There was a gentle breeze, rustling the palm leaves as several cars rushed by and footsteps on concrete could be heard. Cassidy paused for a moment, looking around at the scene. She wished he was here, so he could see everything that she was seeing. Witness it all by her side. 

In a last-ditch attempt to forget her thoughts, Cassidy took off in a quick jog down her usual route, but already mapping it out in her mind that she would instead take a shortcut home. She didn't acknowledge that she was going to do that because she wanted to be with him. Because she was certain it wasn't true. She was just a bit tired, that was all. Just a bit more tired than usual. Besides, it was one of her few days off from training. Why not go easy on herself just this once? That was it.  

She had been running since high school, since she had joined the track team on a whim and the coach had found out she had a knack for keeping a steady pace when running. Above that, the coach also learned that Cassidy had a high stamina, making her a perfect candidate for the team. The regiment was brutal, with long runs before and after classes every day, and practices starting months before the school year. But she had kept up with the routine, and it had ended up serving her well during her time in the Academy and long afterwards. So she'd continued doing it, testing her self-control. That was the funny thing about habits. They were nagging things, even when you wish they would just go away, even for three minutes. A constant reminder that you still had something unfinished. They were like love in that sense.