Chapter Twelve

Rhiannon sits reading a book now the cabin had quietened down, her legs set across Harry's lap, her back against the window. Harry reads from one of her books, resting it against her knees. It's actually a copy of Alice in Wonderland. It's one of her favourite muggle books, and Harry's too. Something he had found tucked away at the back of the cupboard under the stairs, one of the only books he had to read. There was something in disappearing into wonderland. Hermoine watches them warmly from where she pretends to read. Harry needs someone like Rhiannon. Someone kind, compassionate, intelligent, patient, loyal, warm, brave to watch over him. Harry reaches over and takes her hand, setting it between them, Rhiannon smiles to herself.

"We'd better get changed" Hermione then points out as she looks at her watch.

.........

Rhiannon walks back into the compartment in her Hogwarts robes, they hang off her, no shape whatsoever and she already misses her dress. Only Luna, Harry, Ginny, and Neville are left in the compartment, Ron and Hermione had left to deal with prefect duties. Rhiannon pulls a face and adjusts the robes with a huff, then notes Harry's gaze on her, he clears his throat and looks away. She raises an eyebrow at him and sets her dress into her trunk before closing it again. She steps closer to Harry who looks over her again. She didn't miss it the first time. Didn't miss reading that look.

"You...you prefer the robes" She points out giving him a look.

"Yeah," Harry whispers. "Is that weird?" He asks her.

"Yes" Neville answers, his eyes then widening as Harry and Rhiannon look at him. "I just mean...I thought you looked really pretty in the yellow dress" Neville manages to get out.

"Thank you," She tells Neville. "That's really sweet of you" Neville blushes a little and Rhiannon turns back to Harry who has a frown on his face. "Don't be jealous" She tells him.

"I wasn't" He argues and she just raises an eyebrow at him. "Fine I was" He caves, she gives him a look and he shrugs. "It's just...We haven't really....." He clears his throat. "Talked about..." He motions between them. "What this...is" He settles on.

"What do you want it to be?" She asks him. He shrugs a little. He doesn't want to give the wrong answer here. "I'll be your girlfriend if you ask me nicely" She teases, Harry looks up at her.

"Yeah?" He whispers, and she nods.

"Yeah," She assures him. He clears his throat and nods.

"Okay..." He tells himself. "Rhian....would you like to be...."

"I would love to" She stops him, he blinks and frowns before he smiles.

"I didn't...finish" He points out with a smile, and she shrugs.

"Doesn't matter" She leans closer and kisses him quickly with a huge smile before pulling back. She gives him a wink and then heads to her trunk. Harry smiles to himself.

"She's going to be sorted into Hufflepuff" Neville whispers to Harry who nods in agreement.

"Yeah, she is" He agrees warmly and then looks at the whole mess of animals they've got to manage without Hermione and Ron.

"I'll carry the owl, if you like," Luna tells Harry, reaching out for Pigwidgeon as Neville settles Trevor into an inside pocket.

"Oh, thanks," Harry tells her, holding out the cage to her and then hoisting Hedgwig into his arms.

"Attila" Rhiannon starts. "Can you grab Crookshanks?" He inclines his head, lifts Crookshanks by the scruff of his neck, and follows the others as they leave the compartment.

...............

Harry stands away from the crowd, his eyes scanning over it. He and Rhiannon had managed to get separated in the crowd and he is now trying to spot her, or Hermione, or Ron. Or anyone he knows really. He lets out a breath and pulls a face.

"What's with the face?" Ron asks behind Harry who turns to him.

"I lost Rhian in the crowd" Harry admits.

"She'll be fine" Hermione counters as she walks towards them.

"Where's Pig?" Ron suddenly asks.

"That Luna girl was carrying him" Harry answers. "Where'd you reckon...."

"Hagrid is?" Ron finishes. "I dunno...he'd better be okay" A short distance away, Draco, followed by his small gang including Goyle, Crabbe, and Pansy push their way through some scared-looking second years.

"Malfoy was being absolutely foul to a first-year back there" Hermione admits. "I swear I'm going to report him, he's only had his badge three minutes and he's using it to bully people worse than ever....Where's Crookshanks?"

"Attila has him" Harry answers. "And he is wherever Rhian disappeared to" He then relaxes. "There they are" Harry states seeing Rhiannon and Attila leaving the crowd and heading towards them. Attila still carrying a squirming Crookshanks. Hermoine smiles in thanks at the oversized cat and takes Crookshanks from him.

"Thank you, Attila," She tells him warmly. "Come on, let's get a carriage together before they all fill up"

"I haven't gotten Pig yet" Ron argues but Hermione is already walking away to the nearest empty carriage with Rhiannon and Attila.

"What are those things d'you reckon?" Harry asks and then nods to a horrible-looking horse attached to the carriage.

"What things?" Ron counters.

"Those horses," Harry tells him just as Luna appears holding Pigwidgeon's cage in her arms.

"Here you are" She offers. "He's a sweet little owl, isn't he?"

"Er...yeah..he's alright" Ron answers and then takes the cage from her. "Well, come on then, let's get in...what were you saying, Harry?"

"I was saying, what are those horse things?" Harry repeats as he, Luna, and Ron follow after Hermione and Rhiannon.

"What horse things?" Ron counters.

"The horse things pulling the carriages"

"I see them too, Harry" Luna assures him. He looks at her and she shrugs, climbing into the carriage. Harry glances back at the horse and then lets out a breath before joining them.

............

Harry walks at Rhiannon's side as they enter the castle, lingering behind the others who walk ahead. McGonagall's eyes search the crowds before landing on Rhiannon.

"There you are" McGonagall states and steers Rhiannon away almost instantly, she glances back at Harry and shrugs a little with a small smile. He smiles back at her and then follows the others into the great hall. "So you will stand with the first years until they are taken in. Then wait with Filch until you are summoned...." Rhiannon blinks a little and sighs.

"This is going to be really dramatic, isn't it?" She asks. McGonagall gives her a small smile and nods. "I should have known" Rhiannon grumbles a little.