Prologue

Rhiannon rolls her eyes as she listens to the other children in the orphanage downstairs. Laughing. Playing. She sits on her floor reading from one of her school textbooks. She's not at risk of being caught, no one ever comes up to the attic anyway. That's where she was stuffed. Away from everyone else. Away from anyone she could hurt. She prefers it though. Away from all the looks. But after last year, after what she went through at Hogwarts, she isn't as thrilled about being alone as she used to be. Being alone gives her time to think about what she went through. She's struggled with it over the summer. And she's had no one to help her, to talk to about it, other than her father, and he's not very good at comforting her from where he is. She lets out a breath and closes her book. Distracted by the other children now when suddenly there is a whirl and then a pop behind her. Rhiannon frowns and then turns around to find Dumbledore standing in her bedroom.

"Merlin!" She exclaims and then sinks a little with relief when she realises just who he is. Dumbledore gives her a look back, a crinkle of amusement at the corner of his eyes. "Why are you sneaking into my bedroom?" She hisses at him and then moves to close the door, the sounds of children from the rest of the orphanage drawing off.

"Pack up anything you may need," He tells her, already moving to the worn wooden trunk in the corner. Though most of her things are still in there. She doesn't unpack, just simply leaves it there. It makes it easier to hide if the matron comes to her room to punish her for something or other she likely hasn't done. "You need to come with me" She frowns at him as he glances around, trying to make sure that there is nothing left for her to pack. Rhiannon moves closer to him.

"What for?" She asks.

"Miss Grindelwald....please, can you just....?" He stops and lets out a breath. This summer has been busy and that is before he has Grindelwald sending letter after letter to him with how worried about his daughter he is. It's been difficult for Dumbledore considering the relationship they once had, that he is perhaps seeing some of that Grindelwald in the letters he sends. In the care that he shows for his child. It has brought back feelings Dumbledore long thought he had dealt with. Rhiannon searches his eyes and then nods.

"Okay" She agrees, seeing something in him, something rushed. She needs to leave now. "What do I need to pack?" She asks him.

"Anything you wish to keep" He answers. "You won't be coming back here" She snaps her head around to look at him with a wide-eyed frown. Confusion and surprise swim in her eyes. She doesn't want to believe him. Because a part of her is scared that it's a lie. That in a few days, weeks, months, she will end up back here. Dumbledore moves closer to her. Touches her arms and nods. "I have made arrangements, and your father agrees, so you will not be returning here...." He assures her, squeezes her arms and then releases her. She looks around what has been her room since she was eleven years old, which doesn't appear to be very long really, not in the grand scheme of life, but when she is alone, that time is an eternity. It has felt like an eternity that she has been trapped here. She moves to the dresser against the wall. There are a number of handles missing. Cracks and chipped paint. It's old and about ready to drop. Other than the trunk and the bed, this is the only other piece of furniture in the room. She doesn't really have that much stuff. Not in the way of personal items. Being trapped in an orphanage doesn't leave much time or allowance to go out and buy things for herself. Her clothing is all hand-me-downs from older orphans. She has no personal belongings other than her school stuff. She scoops up the clothing, all of her clothing, in one armful and carries it over to the trunk, which she promptly dumps them into. That is it. the extent of her clothing. One fourteen-year-old's arms full. It's not so bad when she is at school, there is a uniform, and she doesn't have to wear casual clothing very often. She lets out another breath, staring down at the trunk.

"That's it" She whispers. "Oh," She states and then picks up the two-way mirror from her dresser. She brushes her sleeve over it before returning to the trunk, she places it on the top and then closes the trunk. She holds onto the handle of the trunk and then takes his arm when he offers it. They vanish from the orphanage. Leaving it behind. Leaving that life behind.