Chapter 3

*previously*

"Spencer," she said, hesitant. "Melissa isn't your only sister."
--
"And this other girl resulted from who's affair?" Spencer drawled. Her first instinct was to be a smart-ass when she didn't know how else to react.

"Spence', it isn't like that, alright!" Veronica said, her voice raised slightly. "This isn't another Jason."
Spencer stayed quiet.
"It's a long story. Your sister, she's our child, both mine and your fathers'. She was more than your sister actually, she was your twin. Her name's Sophia, and she was beautiful, like you. You weren't identical though. But your hair was. When you were 3, your hair looked exactly alike. You were almost inseparable. You were too young to remember."
She cleared her throat, not bothering to wipe the tears falling from her eyes as she continued.
"But when you were almost four , she was taken from us. At the beach. Your father had gone to get ice cream, and you two were headed to the water, and while I was getting you two, Melissa cut her foot on a shell, so I left you two in the sand to play for just one second, to look at her foot, and it just.." she sniffed. "It all happened so fast. She was gone. She was taken"

Spencer rubbed her mothers shoulder. "I'm sorry, mom." She bit her lip. "I have to ask, though. Why are you telling me this now?"

A smile broke out on her mothers face. "All this time... They never found her. We thought she was dead. But she's alive. Were getting her back!" She hugged Spencer, crying into her shoulder. Spencer had never seen her mother so emotional.
--
Spencer still stayed at Emily's, as did Hanna and Aria. But she knew to be back around 3 the next day; Sophia was coming home.

"So we're getting another you?! That's gonna be weird as hell!" Hanna stated.

"Well, not really. We aren't identical. We've grown up in different towns with different families. Apparently she grew up as Paige, I don't even know what to call her. But I'm meeting her tomorrow, so we'll see, I guess."

"Can we meet her too? I mean, not tomorrow, but... She won't know anybody. So it'l be nice to introduce her, right?" Aria asked.

"Yeah, definitely. I want her to feel alright here. I just... I wanna be close with her. Apparently we were close when we were little, and I just, I don't want her to feel weird- is that weird? Am I being weird?" Spencer was rambling. With the reassurance of her friends, they had a good night - while Paige had a sleepless one. She was meeting her real mother in a day, she didn't know how to feel. "Do I call her "mom"? Is she going to like me? Am I going to like her? Do I go by Sophia now? What are my siblings like?" So many questions were running through her head. Some of which were answered the next day, when she met her real mother for the first time.

"Hey, Paige," Mr L tapped her shoulder. "She's here."

Veronica exhaled. When her daughter walked through the door, she knew it had to be her, without introduction. Her long, wavy brown hair, along with her nervous composure, gave it away. Paige's eyes caught hers and she walked towards her, trying not to cry.

"Hi," Paige nervously smiled. Veronica couldn't contain herself. With a wide grin, she pulled her daughter into a hug, a tear falling from her eye.

"Sophia," she whispered. Paige hugged her back, thinking about the name. It didn't feel right. She knew Veronica was a lawyer, but thought the legal questions could wait until the car, at least. She helped her pile her stuff into the boot, and Paige thanked Mr. L for everything.

"I thought it would be too overwhelming if everyone came here today, so Peter and the girls are at home. Oh, Peter is the name of your father. I wasn't sure if you knew," Veronica told Paige once they had begun driving home. She looked over to her daughter. "I'm so sorry all of this has happened to you. This must be really hard, all this change. I really am sorry, Sophia. Im just happy you're okay. Are you okay? Now, I mean? Are you cold? You don't have a jacket. Want me to put on the heater?"