eleven; physical connection

Start from the beginning

I tell her that I want more time to think about it, to see if I can stabilise myself first and she doesn't push me. In fact she's proud that I'm even considering it because she believes it could be important to my recovery.

When the session ends I find myself sitting outside on the porch, watching the trees bristle in the wind gently. I know Everett and Reign will be side by side for the foreseeable. Even Everett put Fran in charge for the time being–he knows how distracted I've been so he didn't ask.

I know I need to step up to my Beta role more. I never really took it seriously until now because I've always been out partying until the crack of dawn, intoxicated with legal or illegal substances. Now I see that I should be taking part more, I always should have been and Everett's been too polite to rip that title from me.

A twinge down the bond has me wincing and I know it's not from my wolf, though he howls inside me because something is wrong. Something is wrong with Nate. Not that he's in danger but it seems like he's upset or frustrated over something.

I frown at the tug because it aches and my wolf won't rest until he knows that Nate is okay.

Hey. You all good? I ask down the mindlink.

I think back to the time Nate asked if I was okay after Reign went missing, we were nowhere near where we are now but he still stopped to check in–to ask if I was okay. Now it's my turn to pay back that favour because I will always double check that he's okay, even if it's a misunderstanding.

Hey. His voice sounds weak and I push my brows together. So-so.

Wanna meet up and talk about it?

The space between us is silent and all I can hear is the rustling of the trees but I keep the link open and allow my good emotions towards him, an attempt at comfort.

Sure. Nate responds. But I don't know if I'll be much up for talking about it.

I choose to ignore his comment because I don't want to put an end to that conversation before it's even started by sticking my nose in. That's fine. Do you want to go grab a coffee?

I don't like coffee.

Fine, a tea or a smoothie or a strawberry lemonade.

A pulse runs down the bond and it sends shivers down my spine.

Strawberry lemonade is my favourite. Nate says after a few moments.

I smile at the sound of his voice. Then let's go grab some.

Where?

In town. There is a nice coffee shop that makes fresh lemonade with strawberries.

I'll meet you there.

I rush to get ready even though I'm already ready but I want to make another good impression, I always do. Once I glance at myself in the mirror and give myself an encouraging smile, I leave the pack house and head towards town.

Nate is already waiting for me outside the cafe and he glances up and down the street. His longish blonde hair is down today but he still looks divine, so gorgeous and he doesn't even know it.

"Hey," I say a few feet from him.

His dark brown eyes flick to mine and his gaze hardens when he sees me. "Hey."

"Shall we?" I step towards the door and hold it open for him.

"Thanks," he nods and steps inside.

We order our drinks and decide to take a slow walk around town, a change of scenery for once. Something different that might help spark our conversation into one of honesty and trust. I'm praying anyway.