Trust and promises

Start from the beginning

Y/N turns to look at Steven.

Y/N: But that was me.

Steven: it's still my fault the ocean's gone. I'm gonna bring the ocean back or get really thirsty trying.

Greg: Wait up, kiddo.

Greg places his hand on Steven's shoulder.

Greg: I'm coming with you.

Connie: I want to help, too. Also, I feel weird being in your house if you're not here.

Lion then appears from behind, placing his paw on Steven's head, and growls in agreement, which surprises Greg.

Pearl: Clearly, we're coming too.

Garnet: You're ungrounded, by the way.

Amethyst jumps on the kitchen counter.

Amethyst: WHOO-HOO! Road trip!

As everyone gets ready to venture into the desert, Y/N turns to look at Garnet.

Y/N: I have noticed that you are uncomfortable around me, and that is inhibiting your ability to protect Steven.

Garnet pauses what she was doing and Y/N walked up to her.

Y/N: Just know, I do not want you to be afraid of me, we both want to protect him, it would be best if we worked together.

The fusion in question made direct eye contact with Y/N.

Garnet: we- I know that you care about Steven and value his goals above all else. It's just that, sometimes he doesn't know what's best for him. I just need you to think about what is best for his future, not what he wants in the present, okay?

Y/N: understood. I'm glad you two are no longer afraid of me.

The group then heads off into the deserted ocean, with the Gems riding in Greg's Van, and Steven and Connie riding on Lion's back as Y/N flew beside them, using the thrusters in his ankles. Inside Greg's van, he is seen fiddling with the dashboard.

Greg: How about some tunes? This was one of Rose's favorites.

Greg inserts a CD into the music player and loud rock music begins to play. Amethyst chuckles while Pearl chuckles uncomfortably.

Greg: So what do you think, Garnet?

Garnet glares uncomfortably, before kicking the van door open and jumping out of the van, rolling on the ground.

(Time Skip—Night Time)

The group is still travelling through the deserted ocean, passing even through the abyssal zone of the ocean. Garnet is now lying on the top of the van while Pearl takes the driver seat, with Greg and Amethyst sleeping and snoring in the back of the van. Steven is still awake, riding on Lion, and Connie is fast asleep on Steven's back, with her arms wrapped around him.

Steven: I can't believe Lapis would do this. Gems shouldn't fight each other.

Pearl: We're always fighting Gems, actually.

Steven: What?!

Pearl: Oh, how do I put this? All Gems aren't necessarily... good.

Y/N flies lower to the ground to look at Steven.

Y/N: All those monsters we fight used to be just like us.

Steven looks at him in surprise and then turns to Pearl.

Pearl: They've become corrupted and broken. We have to take care of them, subdue them, contain them. It's the best we can do for them for now. If we don't, then...