Though the house warming party had certainly seen more than just laughter and tears of happiness.

They had been in the house for two weeks, finally settling into a new routine when Rhys suggested a small house warming party. The first week had been chaotic, neither Isabella or Oliver could sleep very well in the new location, the beds were too soft, the house too quiet and she often found herself sleeping with the little boy.

Despite the tumultuous nights the days seemed to be easier. Cassian and Azriel were over every other day. They had tried to give them space at first but they must have sensed through the– the bond that Isabella was becoming a little untethered. So they had appeared after three days to drop off groceries. The day after that was to deliver a set of children's books. The day after that was to drop off the thick quilt that Azriel had gifted Oliver.

The quilt that now resided on the boy's bed.

But two weeks had been enough to develop a routine. Breakfast at 7 (but they ate the same porridge as they did in the human realm), a walk to the park (Oliver need to burn off energy) lunch was spent on wandering explorations (guided by the shadows that never left their side), the afternoon was at home and dinner was with whichever lost bat appeared on their doorstep.

It worked, and the mundanity of it all was comforting.

So she had agreed to host a housewarming party. Which had immediately brought on a stress headache but Rhys was there in seconds, plan ready and loving every second of organising a theme.

Because it apparently needed a theme, It was a house warming party, the house was the theme. She had said as much to Cassian who had only shrugged and laughed, continuing to make red and gold themed bunting with Oliver at her kitchen table.

"Rhys likes planning social events," He had simply stated. "And he likes putting in effort for the people he cares about."

She narrowed her eyes on him. "I thought we had agreed it was his own issues."

Cassian glances at Oliver but the young boy is distracted with the triangle bunting before him. Tongue poking out of his mouth in concentration as he painted gold lines onto the red material.

Her mate rises to his feet, stepping around the table so he can pull her closer, cradling her in his arms.

"It's his way of showing that he cares." Cassian reiterated, smiling down at her. "Besides, he doesn't get to hold you the way I do."

She rolled her eyes, blushing furiously as the general swayed her gently side to side.

"Rhys is used to getting what he wants," Cassian's voice had gone colder, expression more serious. "And we have always shared everything but... It's nice, getting to have something just for us. For Azriel and I. It's like this wonderful gift that we get to treasure and protect."

She huffs, heart fluttering in her chest.

"It just feels like a lot of effort." Isa eventually whispers, wincing at the thought of all her new friends had done for them. "Especially after what everyone has already done for us."

"This is a celebration," He counters, "An opportunity for us to spoil the two of you– don't interrupt me – which you both deserve after everything. Sure, we helped you but we could have done more and you've certainly helped us more than you know."

Isabella had just sighed, accepting that this knew family was very giving and apparently very up and in each others' business. The thought reminded her of Nesta and the disgust that would always be plain on her face whenever someone got a little too open and personal about their lives with her.