"I like that plan."

Start from the beginning

EJ then barreled through the door, quickly pausing in his stride as he took in the scene before him. "Good morning... and ahoy?" He greeted and Scarlett looked down at her shoes before back up at him.

"Elton." She replied with a small nod.

He then walked closer to the pair, looking toward Gadget. "Hey, do you mind if we?" He motioned toward the girl still sat in the canoe and she nodded quickly.

"Yeah." She squeezed Scarlett's shoulder as she walked past. "Good luck, sailors."

EJ placed his hands in his pockets as Scarlett turned her attention towards him. "Whilst I have you, can we start over?" She shrugged her shoulders, unsure of what to say. "I made a call last night. I'm taking some big steps to make sure the show is perfect."

"EJ, this isn't about that." She responded, rearranging the way she was sitting. Yes, this musical and documentary could change her life but she was sure on opening night that it would all pull together and it would be amazing. She wasn't sure if the couple was going to end up the same way. She could only hope.

He quickly dropped to crouch in front of her, his eyes now aligned with hers and she couldn't lie and say she didn't miss him being this close to her. It felt like the first time he had actually seen her all summer. "But a perfect show is how I stay in Salt Lake. A perfect show means that my Dad sees that I'm great at something, and he doesn't send me to leadership training." He gripped her hand. "A perfect show is how I stay with you."

Scarlett couldn't help the smile that evaded her face as she took his other hand gently. "Why don't we not talk about the future for a sec? Let's make today amazing, okay? I didn't forget your promise." He chuckled. "Here, come in." She pulled her legs closer towards her, making room for him to sit across from her on the other seat. "The water's warm."

"Are you practising for the canoe relay? 'Cause Dewey just pulled the plug on that. Somebody puked in the pool." EJ explained and Scarlett groaned, dropping her head to her knees for a second before lifting it back up.

She lifted the paddle she was holding, placing it down. "It's probably for the best. I'm basically a pro."

EJ laughed as she placed it down on the floor beside them. "I'm sure you are, Scar."

She shoved his knee gently. "Well, athletic glory has never been my thing and I can't really throw a ball, so I thought, why not try a boat? But honestly, I just want us to win today. I could use a win."

"Then I'll make sure we're on the same team." He replied, leaning in closer.

Scarlett smirked, leaning herself even closer toward him. "I like that plan." Her voice almost a whisper.

He closed the gap between them and she smiled into the gentle kiss, pecking his lips again after he leant back. "Okay meet me at the amphitheatre." She nodded in reply and he kissed her cheek before standing up and making his way to the door. "Oh, was anyone in here looking for me?"

She shook her head, nudging his chest with the paddle. "Hmm, expecting someone?"

"Nope. Nope." He turned for the door again. "See you on the amphitheatre, skipper." She chuckled as he left but he was back as soon as he was gone, striding over and catching her in another kiss, his hand on her cheek as she interlocked her fingers behind his neck. "Okay, I've really got to go this time." She kissed him once more before patting his cheek gently and she grinned as he hurried towards the door. "Don't be late, okay?"

"No promises!"

___

The camera was on and Corbin Bleu was talking to the crowd by the time Scarlett was trying to quietly rush down the stairs towards her group of friends that had spread themselves out onto the fair share of logs. She dropped onto the empty seat on the end, next to EJ who nudged her shoulder with his own. "What happened to not being late?" He asked playfully and she shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly.