Chapter 23

"Do you like it, love?" Niklaus asks. He steps closer to Luna, who had been standing motionless in front of one of the paintings for fifteen minutes.

Luna turns slowly towards Niklaus. Niklaus swallows when he sees tears in Luna's eyes.

"I love it." Luna replies, blinking away the tears that threatened to spill out of her eyes. It was surreal for her to stand in front of the famous painting, without being in a museum.

Niklaus remembers how offended Luna had been when Rebekah threw a vase at this painting in the show. "We can hang it in your bedroom if you want." Niklaus offers shyly, not liking to see his mate cry, even if they were happy tears. He grasps Luna's hand, hoping to offer some form of comfort.

Luna looks at their entwined fingers and shakes her head. "No thank you, this painting looks beautiful here." Luna leans against Niklaus while she continues to admire the painting. She wonders if she could ever be this casual towards things like world-famous paintings. 'Living as long as Niklaus had, your perception of value would surely change' she reasons.

Niklaus simply nods and wraps his arm around Luna, pulling her closer. He pushes his face in the crook of her neck, nose nudging against her throat. He rumbles contentedly, enjoying his mate's scent.

Luna tilts her head automatically, appreciating his gentle nosing.

"Nik, stop inhaling your mate!" Rebekah snaps.

She had watched the gooey spectacle, seen the loving glances and gentle touches. She kind of thought it was cute, not that she would ever admit that.

Luna turns around in Niklaus's hold to gaze over his shoulder at the blonde. "What's wrong Bekah? Can't handle seeing me with another man?" Luna teases, untangling herself from Niklaus's hold, ignoring his protest.

"Yes, the sight of you with another person pains me deeply." Rebekah deadpans. "Now give me your phone number."

"You plan on sending me dirty pictures?" Luna asks, smirking at the blonde, wagging her eyebrows suggestively.

"Of course, we can make a scrapbook of our favorites and give it to our grandchildren, to scar them for life." Rebekah jokes, grinning at her friend.

"Bekah! Did you just..flirt back?" Luna asks, dramatically placing a hand on her chest. "You naughty girl, I'm taken." Luna winks at the blonde to let her know she would happily date the blonde if the Mikaelson men were to suddenly disappear one day.

"I'm right here!" Niklaus growls, looking incredulous at his mate and his sister.

"Hush Nik, I've been waiting on this for days." Luna slaps her hand in front of Niklaus' mouth to stop further protests.

Niklaus turns his gaze to Elijah while making big hand gestures, non-verbally communicating his indignation towards the situation.

Elijah simply shrugs, already used to Luna's flirtatious behavior towards his sister.

Luna suddenly frowns, remembering that her smartphone didn't work in this universe. "I don't have a phone anymore."

As soon as Luna said that, Elijah reaches inside his pocket, retrieving a brand new phone. He hands it to his sister, who immediately starts to push various buttons.

Luna walks over to the couch opposite the blonde, taking a seat beside Elijah. "Are you like...maffia?" Luna asks carefully while eyeing Elijah's suit as if expecting ten more phones to appear along with a few guns.

"No, I picked it up for you this afternoon." Elijah explains, grinning delightedly at Luna's intrigued expression.

"Here you go. All of our numbers are in there." Rebekah hands the phone Luna.