Chapter 17

"Elena Gilbert, I presume? I'm Finn Mikaelson. You're here to see my mother." Finn states, handing Elena a glass of champagne, trying to hold back a grimace as their fingers brush past each other. He was already quite annoyed that he had to play errand boy for his mother, an interaction with the doppelganger didn't exactly lighten his mood.

"Is she here?" Elena glances around the room before shifting her gaze back to the Original.

"Her request did not include your friends." Finn voices, looking appraisingly at the girl. This was the girl all the fuss in the TV show was about, she was the reason the Salvatores were constantly bothering his siblings.

Finn wasn't exactly charmed with the girl, he wanted this conversation done as soon as possible. His mate had encouraged him to stick to his part, but he was still worried she would be upset if he spent too much time near the doppelganger.

"They're protecting me. You may not know but your mother's already tried to kill me once." Elena points out, laughing humorously. She is feeling quite anxious to meet the Mikaelson matriarch.

"If you want to see my mother, you'll need to be alone," Finn replies stiffly. He tries to focus on his surroundings, hoping to hear his mate's voice or heartbeat, but could only hear the excited guests chattering.

Slightly agitated he ran his hand through his hair, the room was packed with people, people who could harm his mate.

"Uh, if everyone could gather, please." Elijah voices.

"Excuse me." Finn walks away, glad to be saved from the awful interaction. Finn swiftly makes his way towards the stairs, grinning brightly as he sees his mate standing beside Elijah. He lets out a breath, she is safe.

Luna is feeling tense, she had never been a fan of standing in front of big crowds. Once she was escorted up the stairs she had reluctantly let go of Elijah, his touch was the only thing calming her nerves, but they both knew they were supposed to keep up appearances.

Gazing around the room, Luna is trying to locate the various main characters. She sees the Scoobygang distributed in the crowd, all fashioning various suspicious or apprehensive expressions. In her peripheral vision, she sees Finn approaching them.

"Missed me?" Luna murmurs, stealing a glance at the oldest Mikaelson.She had watched his interaction with Elena, both he and Elena had looked tense. She was glad to see that the tension had faded from Finn's face.

"Always" Finn whispers back as he takes his stand beside Luna, fingers brushing briefly past hers, needing some form of contact no matter how brief. He snuffs softly, her sweet scent calming him down.

Elijah looks down at the crowd wearing a small smirk, relishing in this demonstration of authority. Showing his family and mate off for the entire town to see.

"Welcome, thank you for joining us. You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance." Elijah's smirk falters slightly as he notices his mother descending the stairs.

Luna glances briefly at the Original witch, holding back a startled gasp as she sees the witch already looking at her. Luna was an intruder into this family moment at this point and wondered what Esther thought of all this. Luna was supposed to be a school friend and schoolfriends usually didn't act like they were part of a family hours after meeting them.

She smiles softly at the witch before turning her gaze back to the crowd, trying to ignore the eyes that bore in the side of her head.

• • •

"Do you see who I see?" Damon asks, gazing up at the group of Originals gathered on the stairs. Damon scoffs, all of this was a display of pure power.

"Oh, yeah," Stefan replies, letting his gaze shift from the witch to the girl standing in between Elijah and Finn.