Chapter 1.)

After a long day doing a supply run with the dogs all you wanted to do was get home and go to sleep. Especially before this blizzard blew in. Because of course no matter how much you planned ahead for this trip, the weather decided to spite you and blow in one of the worst blizzards your area has seen in years, three days earlier than predicted. So you were frantically trying to get to your cabin, pulled along on your sled by your five weary tamaskans, hoping that you wouldn't get caught in this storm. It had already started to move into the area and you felt the flakes of falling snow nipping at the exposed skin on your face, freezing your lashes and blurring the path ahead. The frigid gusts of icy wind only caused the late night trek to be that much more difficult as you made your way up the rough mountain trail.

Your headlamp shone a dim yellow path ahead of the team of dogs as they quietly ambled towards their home through the woods. Their soft pants puffed clouds of hot breath into the sky and their paws tread into the fresh powdery snow filling the otherwise silent dark wilderness around you. Everything was going smoothly despite the impending storm and even though the circumstances weren't ideal you hadn't had any problems... yet. As you continued your journey you noticed your wheel dog, Nanook, looking over to the side of the trail. Not thinking anything of it you kept your sights on the path ahead, but when she started to slow down and look over again with perked ears it caught your attention. You brought the sled to a stop and anchored it into the snow before walking up to and crouching next to her. "What is it girl?" You ask with concern as you look in the same direction she is. That's when you notice it. A trail of blood on the side of the trail. Eyes squinting you follow the trail with your light and land on what looks like a person laying in the snow. "What the-?" Your brows furrowed under your gear then popped up in surprise as you walked closer to the body confirming that it is indeed a person. The hairs on the back of your neck stood up tall and a pit formed in your stomach when you saw him. He was face down, covered head to toe with tactical gear, and blood was covering almost the entirety of his left leg as a path of said blood followed behind him.

Trudging through the snow as fast as you can over to his almost lifeless body you crouched down and turned him over so he was able to breathe properly. His chest rose and fell in shallow shaky breaths, which concerned you. Heart racing, you pulled off your gloves, stuffed them into your pocket, and shakily felt his cold wrist for a pulse as you looked him over. A skull mask met your view when you went to look at his face. It caught you off guard and only added to your confusion. What was also strange was that he wasn't American, as you noticed the UK flag patch sewn onto the middle of his vest, your eyes went wide. What is a UK soldier doing out here? You barely found a pulse, and your mind raced for a moment. How were you going to help this person? You mulled over your options and when an idea popped into your brain you rushed back over to your sled. Finding the extra rope you always have on hand, you brought it back over to the unconscious man. As you brushed some of the snow away from his body you placed the rope over his chest and under his arms. It wasn't an easy task considering his size and all the bulky gear he had on. This guy was huge and basically dead weight. You worriedly glanced around for anybody else but all you saw was the dark pine forest. But why would he be out here in the middle of nowhere with nobody around? So many unanswered questions swirled through your head but those could wait until later, at the moment you needed to focus on the task at hand. With one big huff you dragged him to your sled through the snow, stopping a few times to get a better grip, and you hauled him into the basket before covering him in the quilts that you kept in the sled for long trips. Surprised that you actually got him secured to the sled, you stood back onto the runners with tired legs, lifted the anchor from the snow, and encouraged the dogs forward. "Hike!"

The dogs barked in excitement as they took off running, jerking the sled forward and through the woods. You looked down at the man in your sled making sure he was still secure as the wind from the imposing blizzard whipped snow through the fur on your hood. With a newly formed determination to get home you pushed the sled forward with your foot, urging the dogs faster. "Hike on, good dogs!" Trying your best to avoid any bumps, you leaned into every turn, cutting into the snow as the icy gusts pierced through your heavy winter gear. Your cabin could be seen in the distance and a wave of relief washed over you at the sight. The smoke slowly billowing from the chimney provided an anticipation of comfort as you approached your destination with your surprise guest, making you and the dogs ecstatic to almost be home. Approaching your property the dogs stopped at the large gate that led onto your property. You swiftly unlocked the gate and opened it wide for the sled to enter the property. "Come on now, easy." You slowly led your lead dog, Opal, through the gate and down the snowy driveway towards the cabin porch. Anchoring the sled so that you could attempt to drag the man into your home you stood at the side of the sled, hand on your hips and lips pressed together under your scarf. "How am I gonna get you up these stairs?" But instead of just standing out in the cold doing nothing you decided to at least try and get him into the cabin without having him freeze to death.