13 - The Silent Tower and the Raven's Feast

Začať od začiatku

"Hey," you greeted, taking a seat next to Dazai. "Can't believe I'm getting nervous about this of all things."

"I can't shake out the memories of the previous boss out of my mind," Dazai groaned. "Eight years ago and it's still bothering me."

"Yeah, me too," you sighed, before spotting movement behind a bush. 

"Welcome, Boss!" Dazai greeted, standing up.

"It's been four years," Mori smiled. "Are you still using the coat I bought for you?"

"Well naturally, I burned it," Dazai smirked. "Have I introduced you to my dear friend yet?"

"L/N-kun," Mori interrupted. "It is good to see that you are alive. I didn't save up the spot as advisor for nothing then."

"Boss of the Port Mafia, Mori Ougai-Dono," Fukuzawa greeted, sauntering over to him. 

"President of the Armed Detective Agency, Fukuzawa Yukichi-Dono," Mori smirked, meandering towards your boss.

The two stood face to face as the tension became so thick that even a knife would barely graze it.

"So, the time has come," Fukuzawa noted.

"The Agency and the Port Mafia," Mori giggled. "And here we are, the top of Yokohama's greatest skill user groups. If the government brass knew of this secret meeting, they'd foam at the mouth!"

"Let me cut to the point," Fukuzawa glared. "One of our new agents suggested we form an 'alliance' with you, the Port Mafia."

"Oh?" Mori hummed. 

"I was against it," Fukuzawa admitted. "Fighting in tandem with an illegal group, goes against our moral principles. But the idea came from a man who'd been shot, slashed, and kidnapped by the Mafia multple times. His words carry a different weight. With that, and as leader, I could not turn a deaf ear."

"Yes, our respective positions can be a lot to bear!" Mori chuckled. 

"To conclude, even if not an alliance, I wish to propose an interim cease-fire," Fukuzawa finished. 

"A deeply fascinating proposition," Mori nodded.

"Allow me. First-"

"Have you ever read Thomas Schelling?" Mori asked. 

"What?" Fukuzawa sputtered, eyes wide.

"Then how about Jay Nash or Henry Kissinger?" Mori continued. 

"All writers who made contributions to the field of war strategy," you explained.

"It was beaten into my head by a certain someone here," Dazai whispered.

"I have read Sun Tzu, but..." Fukuzawa trailed off. 

"Well there's one commonnality between war with nations, and war with criminals like us," Mori mused. "With both, there is no one to punish you for violating an accord. What if the Mafia broke the truce? What if you betrayed us? The only ones who'd suffer would be those who trusted in the pact. No limited truce will ever hold when those who break it first stand to gain from it. If anything, we would need complete partnership-"

"And we can't have that," Dazai interrupted. 

"Indeed not," Mori nodded. "The Mafia is built on face and honour... and many of my subordinates have had their honour broken by your Agency."

"And many of mine have nearly been killed too, no?" Fukuzawa challenged.

"Yes, but none of them died," Mori insisted. "For our Mafia, that is quite the disgrace."

"Hmmm.... how about this, then?" Fukuzawa suggested. "Right here, right now, we settle all past accounts."

Tachihara and Gin immediately lunged forward, ready to defend their boss, but Fukuzawa was faster. He leapt past them, cutting their guns and daggers in half with his Katana. However, Mori cornered him before he could move, placing a scalpel against his throat.

"I thought you abandoned the Katana," Mori chuckled. "Fukuzawa-Dono, or should I say, the lone swordsman, 'Ginrou'?"

"And I see you still tarnish your profession by killing with a scalpel," Fukuzawa glared. "Mori-Sensei. Do you still lust after young girls?"

"Do you still talk to cats?" Mori challenged.

Then suddenly, Fukuzawa withered away into the wind, and Tanizaki showed himself from behind the bushes.

"A 3D imaging skill, I see," Mori realised, before turning away. "It has been a fun meeting. Let us continue it in battle sometime."

"Tonight, the Agency will move to recover 'Q', the cursed skill user," Fukuzawa informed. 

"Your point being?" Mori pressed.

"Do not interfere tonight, at the very least," Fukuzawa requested. "For both our sakes."

"Why not?" Mori asked.

"Because we share only one thing in common," Fukuzawa began. "We both love this city very much. Both our groups live in this city. We protect it. We cannot afford to have foreign skill users burn it to the ground."

"The Guild is strong, yes. Your Agency cannot defeat it," Mori agreed, turning to face you once more. "Till next time, you two. Both your invites back to your respective positions of leadership are still on the table."

"L/N-San, you're ex-mafioso too?" Kunikida gaped.

"I thought everyone knew by now," you deadpanned. 

"Oh, come now," Dazai smirked. "You were the one who drove me out of the mafia."

"I thought you left of your own vollition?" Mori asked.

"You were afraid, weren't you, Mori-San? Afraid I'd cut out your windpipe and assume the Boss's seat," Dazai continued. "Just as you did with the previous Boss."

"The Devil sees its own in the shadows of others," you snorted. "That being said, I reject the offer as well. There isn't anything for me back at the Mafia, nothing other than money, anyways."

"Besides, I don't wish to team up with you again."