⪻𝑶𝑵𝑬⪼

𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐚⪻

The night hangs over the soft green hills. My eyes reflect the warm glow of the lights along the hills of the Shire. Many Hobbits and their families laugh merrily inside their homes, bedding down for the night. Standing in the path of their village I see and feel the warm glow around me. For a moment, it feels just as my home did once so long ago.

My eyes blink away the burning images of fire raining from above as the echoes of screams from the past seem to fade in the hills around me. Flinching I take up my pack and start again down the path. With each stride my feet feel heavier as if they are being pulled by the ground beneath me. Just ahead up the path I hear a clamoring of merry making and music. In the hillside lay a singular round green door. At the bottom of the door as the threshold shines the blue marking of the grey wizard.

"Help them take back what you lost." Gandalf had said "Seek retribution for your people."

My chest tightens as my mind reels in the memories with the sharp stabbing pain in my temples. I clutch my head hearing the roar of the dragon, seeing the fire rain down, and watching my people burn. Bodies falling from the sky.

"THAT'S WHAT BILBO BAGGINS HATES!"

I jump from the memories again at the clamor of voices inside just past the door. The banging, music, and singing fill the hill and secret from the cracks of the door finding me on the porch. Seeing the shadow of multiple figures inside I quickly ruffle my bangs across my forehead hiding my mark and place my hair over my ears. I dust off my clothes best I can while taking a breath of cool air. Quickly I knock and await anxiously. Still the music goes on with my knock going unheard. Hesitantly I knock again with still no answer.

I huff "This is such a stupid idea." I go to knock again, but instead, by some unforeseen force the door slowly open wide with no one standing on the other side to greet me.

"Uh, hello?" I say stepping in. Once inside the door closes behind me as I look back to watch it latch then look to the room. The cozy home is overun with Dwarves of all shapes, sizes, and ages. I watch as they all go about singing, running around, and tossing plates in the air with a fretful Hobbit running amongst them. I can't help but to laugh at the sight as they sing throwing the fine china all over the rooms.

"Dump the crocks in a boiling bowls. Pound them up with a thumping pole. When you're finished if they are whoooooole. Send them down the hall to roll!"

Many dwarves toss the dishes to and fro but cleaning and storing them up as they go along not dropping a single tea spoon. They play their flutes and stomp there feet before all exclaiming in excitement "THAT'S WHAT BILBO BAGGINS HATES!" and erupt in laughter as they all gather in the kitchen to see the baffled Mr. Baggins face at his stack of clean dishes.

"HAHAHA, look at his face!" the young dark haired dwarf remarks in laughter.

Gandalf with them laughs in their clamor as Bilbo's smile slowly etches on his face. I giggle as well watching the scene until Gandalf looks to me with a warm smile "Ah, there you are!"

The dwarves settle as every head turns to look at me as Gandalf makes his way over. The wizards tall stature blocks the curious and suspicious view of the dwarves as he embraces me. I forget their lingering eyes as I hug him tightly "Gandalf!"

He chuckles embracing me then holding me at arms length "I was wondering if you were going to come."

I smirk pulling back as he holds me at arms length "Of course. When you call, I answer."

He laughs "As always my dear girl."

"Oi!" a voice calls.

Gandalf and I turn facing the dwarves who all stand with Bilbo gawking suspiciously and oddly at me. The one who called with a long mustache and funny hat motions "Who are you?"

I glance to Gandalf then back to the dwarves. Just as I open my mouth to answer a thundering knock pounds on the front door. Now, we all have fallen silent as Gandalf whispers "He is here."

❖❖❖

I stand waiting at the back of the room. The dwarves gather awaiting in an almost honorable fashion as Gandalf's hand grips the handle of the door. With each passing second and twist of the knob my heart beats more vigorously in my chest. Just as the door unlatches and slowly opens I see him. His head lifts to the new open door gazing in.

 His head lifts to the new open door gazing in

"Gandalf." his voice like deep soft thunder as he steps inside "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. Would never have found it had it not been for that mark on the door."

"Mark?" Bilbo sputters racing to the door "There is no mark on that door. It was painted a week ago!"

The black haired dwarf smirks to the others dwarves as they laugh at the frantic Bilbo. Gandalf, however, seems quite nervous as he forces a smile "There is a mark there. I put it there myself."

As the leading dwarf turns to face Bilbo I sink back still out of sight. Gandalf motions to him as Bilbo looks to the tall dark haired dwarf.

"Bilbo Baggins, I want to introduce you to the leader of our company. Thorin Oakenshield."