Chapter 3

We'd been trekking across the farplane for hours. Jecht and Auron had long since stopped talking and focused their energy on reaching our destination instead. We followed Auron, since it seemed like he knew where we were going. But to be honest, it didn't look like we were getting anywhere. The landscape didn't change. It was almost like we were walking in place.

I couldn't take it anymore.

"Where are we going?"

Auron continued walking. He didn't bother to turn around when he answered. "The edge of the waterfalls. Where the flowers end." The waterfalls were ahead of us, but it seemed like we were going nowhere. We should have reached them by now. But then again, i didn't know how the farplane worked, so i shut my mouth.

Five minutes later though. Jecht was talking too.

"Something's wrong, Auron."

Auron nodded. "I know."

He stopped walking.

Jecht and i stopped right behind him.

"Stay here." He told us, and continued towards the falls.

We watched him go. "What do you think he's doing?" I asked jecht.

My father shrugged and sat down on the grass. "Dunno, but he's never steered me wrong before. I trust him." He stretched out and layed back. He looked peaceful. "This place...reminds me a bit of Zanarkand. Know what i mean?" He closed his eyes. I could feel it too. Somthing about the air. It was the same air i breathed in Zanarkand. And it wasn't just the air. When i closed my eyes i almost felt like i was home. And him being here only made me feel even more nostalgic. "So," i started. "Your back. "

Jecht stared at me for a moment and snorted. "What, you gonna cry about it?"

"That's not funny."

"Hmph." He scratched his head and turned to the sky. "Yeah. I'm back."

I sat on the grass next to him. What kind of conversation do you have with the father that was missing from your life for 10 years? I was smarter now. I knew that his being missing wasn't his fault, but it didn't make this situation any less awkward. It may have not been his fault, but that didn't change the fact that he was still the same Jecht-the same father-I'd known as a kid. "I saw the spheres you left behind." I said slowly. "The ones you left for me to find." He shifted around uncomfortably. "Hm. I uh.... i never really thought you'd find em'. To be honest, i never thought I'd make it back home." He sighed. "Guess i wasn't wrong either." I watched him. He seemed nervous, talking to me. "Was i the only person you left them for.... or was it also for...."

"They were for your mother and you." he paused. "I'd always hoped you and your mother would find em'. I didn't want you two to think that I'd just up and left like that. I may be an asshole sometimes but... but I'd never..." he stopped. "How's your mother?" I looked toward the sunset colored sky. The farplane never ceased to amaze me. It held some sort of magic in it, something that almost made you feel that miracles were possible. That maybe...it was possible for me to see mother again. "She's dead." I said simply, because i couldn't bring myself to phrase it any better. I knew it was childish, but something in me still blamed him for it.

He started. "she-?!"

The look of pain that crossed his face in that split second told me how much he cared about her, and i almost regretted saying it so harshly. But a second later later his expression settled, and whatever he was going to say went unspoken. He composed himself and stared at the sky. He didn't say anything else. He didn't have too-the water forming at the corners of his eyes said it all. I didn't look. I wouldn't acknowledge the first tears I'd ever seen my father shed. I layed back next to him and we watched the pyreflies together.