.•°¤ ۞ 𝑨 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒓 ۞¤°•.

Start from the beginning

You knew the Matriarch would be disappointed in you right now. The one thing she always told you from a young age was that empathy could get you killed in the desert.

You sighed, looking at the man once more before turning to face the eremites as you pulled out your dagger with a smirk.

You didn't even have to say a word - they all came running towards you with their swords raised. You effortlessly dodged all of their attacks, disappointed that you couldn't feel the exhilarating thrill of having a real fight.

You sighed as you kicked the sword out of the eremites hands, catching it after it flew through the air. You swiftly used the hilt of his sword to hit him clean on the back of his head. He yelled in pain before falling face first into the sand, unconscious. You merely glared at the other two and that was all it took for them to run the other way.

"Amateurs..." you shook your head, admiring the eremites sword in your hand. You might just keep it for yourself.

The sun was beginning to set and you swore, realizing how late it had gotten. You started running back but were stopped by the man as he called out to you.

"Wait...!"

You skeptically turned back, examining the man properly from head to toe as he came towards you. Silk shirt, black leggings, long, blonde hair. He was one of those pretty city boys you had only heard stories of from other clan members.

"Thank you!" he said, finally catching up to you

"Thank you!" he said, finally catching up to you. "Really, is there any way I can repay you?"

You just shook your head, continuing to take in the man's appearance. His skin was fair and smooth, there wasn't a single battle scar or cut on his body. The Matriarch's warnings about city folk wasting your time echoed through your head.

"Then, may I at least know your name, miss?" he asked, with the most gentle smile you had ever seen in the desert.

You hesitate for a moment, wondering if you could really trust this strangely dressed man with your name. Ignoring all the warnings of caution your brain was throwing at you, you decided to take the risk for once.

"It's-"

Before you could tell him, you heard shouts in the distance and turned to see a group of people running towards you. From the way they dressed, you could tell they were also city folk, most probably associated with the man you just saved.

"Oh thank the archons you're okay!!" they yelled, getting closer. You quickly tried and ran back to the settlement before any of them saw your face.

"Wait, miss...!"

But you were already long gone.

.

.

.

You finally made it back to the settlement, just about ready to collapse. You internally groaned after remembering you hadn't gotten the food either - you didn't know how you were going to face the Matriarch.