four

Renata's relationship with the Professor McGonagall was complicated.

Renata loved McGonagall, they would sit and have tea, talking about all the new gossip, including the bets Minnie had going with Dumbledore. Something Renata laughed at every time.

McGonagall was the only one that could make her smile truthfully. She had the rare occasions of a real smile with the Marauders. But, with Minnie, every time she saw her a genuine smile took the fake smiles place.

Currently, she was sat across from Minnie, laughing slightly at something she had said.

''Did that really happen?'' She tilted her head, her nose scrunched, still recovering from laughing to the point that tears threatened to spill.

She shook her head, recalling the situation and how bizarre it was. ''Yes, it did. I honestly didn't know what was going on.''

Letting out another laugh she just shook her head. ''I wouldn't either, I mean a duck?''

McGonagall smiled. ''I know... getting Mr. Potter out of that form was difficult since he kept running away. The whole group of them were running after him.''

Hearing Renata laugh brought a smile to Minnie's face. She knew what others didn't. She knew that she was having a difficult time recently, even if she would never admit it to anyone else. She wasn't aware of what it was but she knew something was different.

After Renata stopped laughing she took a look at the watch on her wrist and sighed upon seeing the time. ''I'm afraid I have to go...'' She gave an apologetic smile before grabbing her stuff together, walking towards the door.

''Oh, that's alright. I'll see you tomorrow okay?'' McGonagall sent her another smile, this one a little smaller than the previous ones.

Renata turned her head, her hand ghosting the door handle. She gave Minnie a smile that seemed almost sad. ''Okay..'' She opened the door but before shutting it behind her she turned back around.

Pausing for a moment, she seemed to be debating whether to say what she wanted.

''Minnie, I wanted to say thank you. For everything really...'' McGonagall sent her a disapproving look at the nickname but the smile on her lips proved she was amused if anything. ''It's alright Rennie.'' Renata smiled cheekily at the matching nickname before leaving, the door closing behind her.

Little did McGonagall know that, that was the last time she would ever see the girl she had learned to love like the daughter she never had.