Hyewon whips her head around, bowing her head. "Hello, Your Majesty." she greets her.

The empress, dressed in a large, lilac ball gown, merely smiled. "No need for honorifics, dear. It's nice to see you. My son isn't giving you any trouble, is he?"

Trouble, eh? Biting back the scathing comments, she shakes her head. "We're getting along... well. It is an honor to serve the royal family."

"Lovely. Do tell me if he acts out of line," Empress Mika requests before inclining her head towards Yeonjun. "I see that you are close to him. Are you two perhaps... seeing each other?"

What?!?

Heat crept up Hyewon's cheek. They shared a flustered look, before looking away. "No, Your Highness, we're just good friends," Yeonjun answers, scratching his neck nervously.

She winks. "If you two say so. Quite a match. You're a handsome lad. What's your name?"

"Erm... Choi Yeonjun, ma'am. My father is a lieutenant in one of the higher cohorts." he replies tentatively. In her peripheral vision, she notes that he was toying with his uniform, a common habit he had when he was nervous.

"Well, Yeonjun dear, I hope you don't mind if I steal Hyewon here for a bit?" She asks with one hand on Hyewon's shoulder, earning a shake of his head.

"See you, Jun, I guess..." the ravenette trails off before being led by the empress to the dining table.

"Hyewon, there's someone I'd like you to meet," she starts. "I'm sure you have heard of the special guest today?"

"Yes, Your Highness."

They stop right in front of the table. "Hyewon, meet Yoon Lia. She's the daughter of the many important ministers in the kingdom."

The newcomer was dressed in a sky blue kimono. She had long, black locks of hair trailing beyond her shoulders, her bright, rosy lips contrasting her fair skin. Her eyes were small, yet sharp.

She looks like a dumb doll, she thought to herself in disgust.

Lia rises, scanning Hyewon before offering a hand. "I'm Yoon Lia." Her eyes seemed to glitter mysteriously, "Nice to meet you."

"Cho Hyewon." She grips her hand tightly. "I'm the prince's personal guard."

"Really? Hm, I never heard of you." She lets out a girlish giggle before turning to Riki. "Is it true, baby?"

Baby!?!

Looking visibly uncomfortable, he nods. "She is."

"Wah!" Lia clasps her hands. "I've missed out on a lot in the past years. It's been so long." She turns to face the emperor and the empress, a sweet smile on her face. "May Riki and I have a moment to catch up? I missed him so much."

"Of course, Lia sweetheart!" the empress gushes. "Riki, be a gentleman and lead her to your bedroom."

The prince's head shot up in surprise. Panic flickered in his eyes. Why, she didn't know. "But, Mother, dinner hasn't ended yet-"

"Don't worry, I can ask the maids to send you dinner later. You shouldn't leave Lia waiting."

"Mother-"

"Your Majesty," Hyewon interrupts. "May I join? I would like to get to know Lia better and if anything happens, I can protect them."

She didn't know why she interfered. It, after all, had nothing to do with her. But she had done it anyway.

A bright smile lit up her face. "Certainly. You three can get to know each other."

Hyewon could've sworn Lia's eyes flicker with annoyance, but maybe she was imagining it.