Chapter 35

╔══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╗

Chapter 35

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

The sun began its descent beyond the horizon as Jeremiah and Delilah arrived at Brown College. The tense atmosphere that had characterized their earlier car ride had started to dissipate, gradually being replaced by a tentative camaraderie that had begun to rekindle between them. The campus was alive with the hustle and bustle of students going about their evening activities, and as they approached Conrad's dormitory, a sense of anticipation hung in the air.

The hallway of the dormitory was dimly lit, the soft murmurs of students passing by providing a distant backdrop to the weight of their search. Standing before Conrad's dorm room, Jeremiah raised his hand to knock, the sound of his knuckles against the wood echoing through the corridor. After a brief moment, the door creaked open, revealing a young man with tousled hair and a perplexed expression.

"Hey," Jeremiah began, his voice a mixture of concern and urgency. "We're looking for Conrad. Is he here?"

The roommate's brows furrowed in surprise as he took in the two visitors. "Conrad? Nah, man. He hasn't been around for a few days. I thought he was crashing at someone else's place or something."

Jeremiah's shoulders drooped with a mixture of disappointment and worry. "Do you have any idea where he might be?"

The roommate shook his head, a nonchalant shrug accompanying his response. "Sorry, man. I wish I could help. He didn't mention anything."

Delilah's gaze shifted between the roommate and Jeremiah, determination flickering in her eyes. "Thanks anyway."

Leaving the dormitory behind, the evening breeze carried with it a faint hint of salt from the nearby sea. The campus was gradually transitioning into the quiet rhythms of twilight, and Delilah turned to Jeremiah with a faint smile. "What's the next step?"

Jeremiah's lips curved into a small grin, a glimmer of his usual optimism returning. "Let's head to the beach house. I have this feeling that he might be there."

They began their journey to Cousins beach, the sand beneath their feet cool and inviting. The beach was serenely quiet during this time of the day, with the gentle lap of the waves creating a soothing melody. The beach house loomed in the distance, its windows reflecting the fading light.

Before continuing to the beach house, they stumbled upon a charming farmer's market. The aroma of freshly baked goods mingled with the salty sea air, tantalizing their senses as they strolled past the stalls. Delilah's eyes lit up as she eyed a display of colorful macarons.

"Look at these! They're so vibrant," she exclaimed, pointing at the delicate confections.

Jeremiah chuckled, a playful glint in his eyes. "Go ahead, pick your favorite. I know how much you love those."

Delilah selected a raspberry macaron, its delicate sweetness melting on her tongue as they walked along. "You know me so well."

They continued to wander, the bustling atmosphere of the market becoming a backdrop to their growing connection. Delilah's gaze drifted over a collection of handcrafted candles, their warm scents mingling with the salty breeze.

"These candles are lovely," she mused. "They remind me of the beach house."

Jeremiah's smile was nostalgic as he gazed at the candles. "Yeah, the beach house always had that comforting scent. It's been our haven for so many summers."

They selected a variety of baked goods, each more delectable than the last. A sense of comfort and warmth settled over them as they sat at a nearby bench, overlooking the beach. The croissants were buttery and warm, and as they savoured their first bites, a shared smile of contentment passed between them. The tension that had plagued them earlier seemed to dissolve in the simple pleasure of the moment.

With each bite, the world around them seemed to fade away, leaving only the sound of the waves and their easy conversation. Delilah playfully brushed a sprinkle of powdered sugar from the corner of Jeremiah's mouth, their laughter harmonizing with the rhythmic crash of the waves.

Jeremiah chuckled, his eyes meeting hers with a mixture of fondness and gratitude. "Thanks for the save."

As the sun dipped lower in the sky, casting hues of pink and gold across the horizon, their conversation deepened. They reminisced about their childhood escapades, the shared adventures that had shaped their bond, and the dreams they had once woven together. The barriers that had stood between them for so long were beginning to crumble, piece by piece, as they opened up about their fears, regrets, and hopes for the future.

Amid the backdrop of the fading sun, Delilah and Jeremiah found themselves immersed in a sea of shared memories and rekindled friendship. The beach, the pastries, and the laughter that punctuated their conversation seemed to hold the promise of brighter tomorrows – a chance to mend the bonds that had been strained by time and circumstance.

As they lingered on the bench, watching the colours of the sky deepen and change, it was as if the years that had passed since their childhood had been bridged in an instant. The farmer's market, with its array of baked goods and the warmth of their conversation, had become a pivotal chapter in their journey of rediscovery. And as they stood up, ready to continue their search for Conrad, their steps were lighter, their hearts more open, and the shared path ahead held a newfound sense of hope.