Chapter 24

╔══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╗

Chapter 24

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

The evening had come sooner than Delilah had anticipated, and before she knew it, she was finalizing the last-minute arrangements for Jeremiah's private birthday party, to which she would be the only guest.

She had indeed discovered a lovely and quiet spot on the beach, directly across from the beach house, as she had been promised. There were only a handful of people remaining on the beach, including perhaps two or three young couples snuggling while lying on the sand and observing the sunset. As she glimpsed one of the couples from a distance while setting up the table, Delilah smiled a little. They appeared to be so in love, and even if they weren't, they may have just genuinely liked each other. But the way in which one would stare with such ease at the other when they thought the other couldn't notice — if that wasn't love then Delilah wasn't sure what was.

A simple table had been set up by the girl right in front of the ocean view. To be honest, there wasn't much to see—just a tablecloth in the two teenagers' favourite colours of yellow and blue, some uniquely designed balloons bearing Jeremiah's name in large letters, and a cake she had baked herself earlier in the day.

While Jeremiah was busy celebrating with everyone else throughout the day, Delilah had convinced her mom to drive them back home simply so she could bake and decorate a birthday cake for Jeremiah to bring back to the beach house by the evening. Even if it was occasionally tempting, Cheyanne just couldn't refuse her daughter's request since she knew how much she treasured Jeremiah. It was planned that this birthday would be especially memorable. After all, the two best friends could now officially commemorate their ten-year friendship.

As Delilah was stringing the last balloon, her phone unexpectedly buzzed. She sat down on the sand and checked the calendar notification on her phone, which alerted her that it was now 8 PM, the time Jeremiah was supposed to meet her here.

Delilah awaited Jeremiah's arrival with a bit of impatience, feeling all thrilled within. She had found herself doing a lot of random things to pass the time while she waited, including jumping jacks, browsing social media, and trying to dance sloppily on the spot (which drew some strange looks from the other people still on the beach). By the time she realized that she had been waiting a little longer than usual, it was nighttime.

Where was he?

Checking her phone again, her eyebrows furrowed as she read the time:

8:34.

Delilah took the decision to ask him where he was through text message, but when she didn't hear back from him in five minutes, she gave up and returned to the beach house. She may have unintentionally given him the incorrect time that morning in his room, or he may have become distracted by something else or been stopped. But what if he—

No. He wouldn't forget.

Delilah returned to the beach house and found it completely quiet; there was no one there. The kids were already aware that Susannah, Laurel, and Cheyanne were going out together and that Conrad was likely out and about with his girlfriend. She wasn't exactly sure about Isabel though.

But then, in one of the far rooms, Delilah heard some distant shuffling and a few incoherent words being spoken. Huh. Who could that be?

As she got closer and closer to the place where the noise came from, she didn't pay attention to the fact that the noise got quieter and quieter until it was soon . . . silent.