2| Wisteria Crest

______________________

Obanai stared at the wisteria crest imprinted on the building's wall. Well, Obanai stared at everything. From the tall trees lining the village to the night sky, the boy was observing such minuscule, everyday things like it was all going to be snatched away from him forcefully by the Gods.

It made Sanemi slightly uneasy, an unknown sense of understanding.

He knows. He knows what it's like to live like it was your last day of living every single day. Eyes darting everywhere across the room, taking and giving everything because you never know who will take even more from you, you never know who's striking and when he strikes. All you know, all you ever knew, was to survive like dogs.

It was cruel, to see his younger self reflected in Obanai.

His eyes turn to the door and knocked. A frail old woman answered, familiar and kind, Sanemi knew her well. "Obaasan." he politely bowed.

Upon hearing his voice, Hisa's face lit up. "Shinazugawa-sama. Please, make yourself at home." she ushered him in, closing the door as she did so. The two walked through the halls, and as always, Obanai watched.

"Obaasan, do you have clothes for kids?" he promptly asked as she showed him comfortable clothes he could switch into for the night. When she tilted her head, Obanai's head popped into view, hidden by the Hashira's bird nest of a hair. Kaburamaru slithered up as well, propping himself up to catch a better view.

Hisa, like a magician, always has something for everyone. Whether it was because of decades of experience tending to the slayer's needs or if she was genuinely just a sorcerer who can conjure spells, Sanemi does not know. And like always, she gives.

Neatly folded and clean, a small plain Yukata was set on the floor next to Sanemi's change of clothes. He bowed again, muttering thanks. And always, she smiles. She doesn't tell him where the food was, nor did she need to tell him where to sleep, for he has been here countless times in the past already.

The second she turned her back and shut the door, he sets Obanai down. The child blinked at Sanemi as if waiting for his orders. The Hashira huffed, "Right. So, you change into that," he pointed to the Yukata, "and I'll wait outside." he swiftly turned to his heel and left, the sliding door shutting loudly.

Obanai was alone.

He looked around the room. It seemed like all he ever did since escaping was looking around. He turned to the clothes laid out neatly on the ground and picked them up. He looked down at his body, unfamiliar clothes draped on his body and hanging off his limbs. He furrowed his brows and frowned, never once had he seen this haori before, nor had he ever seen the deep blue uniform.

Had he stolen this from someone? Who's clothes did these even belong to?!

The thought of stealing something like all his family did filled him with unfiltered terror. Obanai tore off the haori and uniform, quickly putting on his Yukata messily. He just wanted to get rid of his sins as soon as possible!

He reached to touch his cheeks, feeling his once-tight bandages come undone. His eyes widened with panic and he sprung into action, wrapping the bandages over the lower half of his face as quickly as possible, leaving him with not only a sloppy Yukata but also a crudely bandaged mouth. As always, Kaburamaru hung around his shoulders, flicking his tongue.

Sanemi impatiently knocked on the door. "You done?" he asked, his voice cutting through the thin sliding door. Obanai scurried to the door, his sleeves falling behind. He opened the sliding entrance, revealing Sanemi holding up two trays of food.