Chapter 29: They Were Just Friends

Începe de la început

"You are far too fearless for your own good," Klaus whispered into her hair.

"Only because you're with me."

She pulled her head from his chest and gazed up into his eyes with a bright smile. Klaus returned it, momentarily forgetting about the danger Amelia was in.

And that was his downfall.

"Oh, what a pretty picture this is," Fiore said as she came into the room, pure white-hot rage in her eyes.

"Fiore, please let me explain," Klaus pleaded, stepping in front of Amelia protectively, which only made Fiore light in a further fury.

"You had better give me one hell of an explanation," His wife snapped. "Because I am certain I told you to make her leave and never come near either of us again."

"I know," said Klaus, trying to keep the situation calm as Amelia took shelter behind him. "She only came to say goodbye. A final goodbye, I assure you."

"A cozy one too," she replied, her rage undeterred, causing Amelia to take a stand.

"Why should the two of us have to suffer because of your jealousy?" Amelia demanded.

"Amelia—"

"No!" Amelia continued. "If you really loved Nik, the way he deserves to be loved, you would trust his words. Nothing has ever happened between us! Why isn't that enough?"

Fiore turned silent at Amelia's words, which only put the pair further on edge. His wife's head cocked to the side, but her eyes never left Amelia.

"Do you love Nik the way he deserves to be loved?"

It was now Amelia's turn to be silent. Her hands trembled and she went to hide behind Klaus once again. Fiore merely raised an eyebrow and rolled her eyes when the girl refused to answer.

"I asked you a question, sweetheart, I expect to be answered."

"Yes," Amelia answered meekly before boldening herself. "Yes, I do. But as his friend."

"You are not a good liar," Fiore told her with narrowed eyes. "But since you are so determined to undermine, let me clarify. I believe nothing has happened between the two of you. But I also believe that prevention is better than cure and you are a disease just waiting to manifest."

"How dare you?" Amelia retorted with a recoil.

"Why don't you say that just a little bit closer and we'll see just how much I would dare to do?"

"You are supposed to have it all and yet you are insecure beyond measure," Amelia told Fiore to her shock. "To be as jealous you! Even Nik agrees that your jealousy has gotten out of hand."

"Oh, he does?" Fiore now turned to her torn husband who wanted to be anywhere but in the middle of this.

"Tell her, Nik—"

"STOP CALLING HIM THAT!" Fiore roared, terrifying Amelia back into her place. "Klaus can speak for himself. Do you agree with her?"

"I only think banishing her is excessive," Klaus told Fiore, who's expression proved unreadable. "I swear that nothing has nor will ever happen between us."

"It is because of how adamantly you fight for her that I know your words to be untrue," she replied with a shake of her head. "And I have tolerated your friendship for long enough. No more. You must choose."

"Fiore, you cannot be serious."

"I am," His wife continued as she sped towards Amelia and tightly grabbed her arm, the latter attempting to break free. "You must choose between me and her."