³², BEHIND GLASS WALLS

Start from the beginning

"Stop," Vex said, holding out a hand, "I feel like shit."

"Drink this, I'll grab you--" Daryl tried, taking a step toward her.

"No," Vex shook her head, attempting to cover her mouth, "No, Daryl I feel like shit."

Daryl shook his head, looking around the courtyard.

"Vex, you just need to eat."

"Trust me, I do, but I'm sick," Vex said, "I'm dizzy and hot-- I'll start coughing soon. I gotta go before--"

"You're not sick."

"Yes, I am," Vex said, pulling herself to her feet, "I'm goin'. Go find a cure, be the hero."

Daryl couldn't speak, holding a bottle of water, watching Vex Williams, of all people, walk slowly to death row, her hand on the wall to keep her balance.

"Hershel!"

The man was quite shocked at Daryl's shout, looking up at the intrusion.

"We gotta figure this out right now," Daryl said, looking between the man and Rick, "Vex's got it."

🗡

Dean Williams was beginning to get really frustrated with the entire situation. Now, he understood why he was forced to stay with those who hadn't been exposed, and why he was to stay with the very young and very old in the administrative building as the sickness began spreading.

But he could hardly keep himself calm once hearing the news and managing Zeppelin was entirely impossible.

"She's gonna be okay, you know."

"I want to go see her," Zeppelin said, her eyes stinging with tears, "Please, Uncle Dean--"

"Even sick, your mom would murder me," Dean said with a frown, placing a hand on Zeppelin's head, "We just gotta sit tight, okay? Daryl's gonna get those meds for her, and Glenn's in there keepin' her company."

Zeppelin's lip trembled.

"You know, your mom had pneumonia once," Dean said quietly, "She acted totally fine. Just like normal. Whatever this is, she'll beat it just like that. But you know she wants you safe, before anything else."

The girl nodded, wiping her cheeks even though no tears had fallen.

"I'm gonna go find Carl," She said quietly.

"Alright," Dean nodded.

And then off she went.

Dean sat with Beth and Judith, while Zeppelin went in search of Carl.

She came up empty-handed, reminding herself to chew Carl out the next time she saw him.

🗡

"Brought cards."

Glenn breathed out raggedly, craning his neck to face Vex.

The woman looked as bad as he did. After only two days on death row, her skin had lost its color, aside from the deep purple bags beneath her eyes. Sweat dotted her pale skin, Vex had already tied her hair up and swapped out her t-shirt for a tank top, but this did little to help her fever.

"Cards?" Glenn asked.

"Yeah," Vex smiled tiredly, reaching into her pocket, "Ever played Rummy?"

Glenn laughed, though it turned into a cough, as Vex pulled the cards from their box, shuffling them slowly.