10.7 - The Dark Era

Comenzar desde el principio

The two of you looked up in the direction Dazai was pointing in.

"Here?" You asked.

"Where else?" Dazai wryly smirked.

Before you was a bar with a white sign and a small light glowing in the darkness of the night.

The three of you went down the dimly lit stairs to the basement. You could hear the faint voices of people conversing as your feet were enveloped in a white cloud of cigarette smoke. 

"Hey, nice to see you. I've already started," Ango greeted, before doing a double take. "The Consigerie?!"

"Sorry, Osamu dragged me here under the pretext of a work disucssion," you sighed. 

Dazai and Oda sat down at what you assumed were their usual seats, and you took a seat next to Dazai. While you didn't come here as often as Dazai did, you often came here for post-work drinks with your best friend, hence the bartender knew you well enough. Without any of you needing to ask, he prepared you your usual drinks - Oda a coffee, Dazai a beer, and you a margherita.

"You could've at least tried to get in touch with me," Oda said.

"It took me a while to throw the pursuers off my trail," Ango let out a bitter laugh. "I've had a lot of difficulties that prevented me from talking. But now there are no wiretaps, and nobody followed me here. I can drink to my heart's content. More importantly, how did you know I was here?"

"I found a handkerchief at the site of the explosion." Dazai grinned fiendishly. "There was a napkin from this place wrapped inside. It was completely obvious. Who would've thought spies used such dated methods, huh?"

"We're the only ones who would pick up on something like that," Ango said before letting out a small sigh. "I thought I'd never get to drink here again. I'm lucky. And I want to share this luck with my two friends."

"Well, aren't you being rather sentimental for an undercover agent," Dazai coolly replied.

You and Oda looked at Ango. He didn't immediately react to what Dazai had said, but his lips seemed to faintly curl.

"...I'm impressed," Ango quietly admitted after a few moments went by. 

"Ango, you were already somebody before you joined the Mafia. You were an agent for the Home Affairs Ministry's Special Division for Unusual Powers, a secret government agency. Your mission was to keep an eye on the Mafia and report back to headquarters," Dazai listed, pausing only to check if he was right.

"......Yes," Ango replied after a deep sigh.

"While you may be part of a secret organization that presides over the skill users in this country, you wouldn't make it out unscathed if you took on the Port Mafia head-on. Plus, the mission of the Special Division for Unusual Powers is to manage skill users, not wipe them out. That's why they sent an agent to infiltrate the Mafia to keep an eye on things. It was an unavoidable measure of action. Am I right?" Dazai continued.

That would mean the entire mess that got Ango into the Mafia was set up by the Special Division for Unusual Powers. Betrayal of the highest order was dealt with by extensive torture, before curb-stomping the traitor and shooting him dead. You were sure that other criminal organisations dealt with this in a similar manner, meaning Ango would be wanted dead by three different organisations.

"That's when Mimic came up. This criminal organization of skill users planned on coming to Japan, and they would prove to be another headache for the Special Division for Unusual Powers to deal with. Therefore, they got you to keep an eye on them...as a double agent for the Mafia," you realised. "Of course, those black-clothed Special Forces—the Division's task force—would come to your rescue if needed."