2. Our First Meeting

I believe I've imagined the chill in the air or how it licks my spine, but the light nearest Cillian flickers until it goes out, and my fears are confirmed. There is darkness around him. One that dances around in the shadows of the room and taunts unsuspecting prey. 

Lord, I hope it's just on the surface! Deep down, I pray that his heart isn't as cold as I've heard. I am a warm individual. One who enjoys peace and real, raw romance. Not the kind who wants a husband that despises her!

"Prince Cillian," I greet cautiously and decide my best bet is to extend respect first. I curtsey and give him a small, modestly warm smile. I ignore how his gaze is flickering up and down my frame making my toes curl in my heels. "I apologize for my startled countenance. I am just surprised to see you... in my chambers." 

At least, it is the truth. I am not sure how far a lie would go anyway. 

"Is it not okay for a husband to be in his bride's chambers?" 

Husband? 

"Well, we have yet to be wedded. So... yes, it is quite improper." 

A grin twitches on the corner of his inviting lips before he cups his chin and stalks a few feet forward. That's when I get a full glimpse of his figure. My gaze ashamedly moves down impressive sinew, from his sculpted shoulders to the glimpse of his chest that bulges beneath his loose bed shirt as he crosses the arms of what I can only surmise are an impressive swordsman. 

He is gorgeous, well endowed with muscle, and the Lord knows what else... 

Maria! Head out of the mud! 

"Improper, indeed." 

He licks his lips and scrutinizes me for a moment before sighing. "You don't seem like someone debauched, that's for sure." 

My cheeks warm as I'm filled with utter disbelief at his insinuation. "A-Are you asking- what are you inferring, Prince Cillian?" 

"Just Cillian. We are to be married, no? No need for formalities." 

I swallow the nervous lump in my throat and nod slowly. 

"I suppose you're wondering why I have called you here at such an ungodly hour." 

Precisely. 

I nibble my bottom lip, waiting for him to continue. Although, with the state of our conversation, it is not wise for us to continue conversing at such a horrid hour. It must be why he's acting as lude as he is. 

"Aren't you curious, Maria?" He stalks toward me again, leaving no space between our bodies. Not wanting to anger him and being shamefully affected by his proximity and my undeniable attraction to the man, I simply nod. 

He reaches up to my face, fingers caressing my slender jaw, thumb brushing the tan skin before moving over my lip, and I gasp. 

If someone were to walk in if my maids were to-

"I wasn't quite sure whether I wanted to honor our marriage agreement. It's not like my country needs a treaty with your insignificant one. Besides, a woman from Kamarre, a country of loose prostitutes, I only assumed you'd be ruined before we had a chance to consummate our marriage." 

Rage enshrouds me. It boils over the edge until I taste copper on my tongue, and I realize I've bitten the inside of my cheek too hard. 

I turn my face and step backward so his hold on my cheek is severed and swallow the utter shame I'm feeling for believing things could be different than the story Ruth depicted. He is insufferable, and I am bound to spend my lifetime with him... in sickness and in health...