TWELVE €

Two days pass since Cate's first day bunking with Barbara at her house. Andrew has not tried to contact her, nor Barbara.

All Cate does is sit in her room and reads or stare at the ceiling while laying on the firm bed. Barbara has tried to get her out of her room to eat something or go into town but nothing seems to work.

Cate took her two weeks of paid vacation so she doesn't have to face anyone, especially Elizabeth.

The young girl has tried to contact her multiple times through call and text, but her lover doesn't message or call back. Cate is under the impression Elizabeth told her mom about their relationship, a certain type of hate has washed over her heart for now.

Cate is home alone once again, Barbara has left for a dinner with a couple of co-workers from the school. She lays on her bed, bored out of her mind.

Her mind drifts off to the young girl that has her heart, she can't help but wish she was laying beside her once more, by the train tracks like old times; but that isn't so old.

She stands up from her bed abruptly and grabs a coat and heads to the door of her room that leads out to the hall. She hesitates, her hand floating above the door nob.

She twists the nob and heads out of her room, down the hall, and to the front door of the house. She slips her shoes on and leaves the house. She stands on the door step, taking a deep breath of fresh air in.

She walks down the street going nowhere in particular. She takes a cigarette out of the pack and places it between her lips. She hasn't smoked for days, respecting Barbara's house by not smoking inside.

She lights the dart, protecting the flame from the wind with her slender hand. She takes a deep inhale of the nicotine enjoying the burn in her throat.

Her head feels lighter and her legs feel like they are walking on air because of the rush of nicotine to her brain through her blood stream. She continues to walk down the sidewalk, one had in her pocket playing with her phone.

She takes it out and looks at all the messages from her young girl, asking to meet up with her, trying to see what's going on, apologizing for her mother.

She quickly texts Elizabeth to meet at the park down the road from the school. The text is instantly read by the young girl and she rushes out of her own house through the window, avoiding her own mother.

Cate takes her time going to the park, enjoying her smoke. She doesn't want to seem too eager to see her young lover, yet she really is.

The park comes into view, the sun is starting to set and the trees are casting a dark shadow over everything. Cate can see a woman sitting on a bench under a large oak tree but she can't tell if its Elizabeth or not.

Cate drops the butt of her smoke and stomps it out before walking closer to the woman on the path, trying not to look suspicious.

She can see more of her distinct features: her red hair, the slim figure, knowing for sure it is her lover. She gets the idea to sneak up on her to scare her. She quietly approaches the young girl from behind, she gets into arms reach and grabs her shoulders.

The young girl jumps and lets out a shocked yelp before turning around to see her older woman. "Cate!" she says slapping the woman's arm playfully.

"Hey, Darling." she laughs, she comes around the bench and sits down beside the young girl, "I'm sorry I haven't contacted you."

"I completely understand..." Elizabeth says, her eyes roam around Cate's face seeing the healing bruises and cut lip from her mother. Her hands take her cheeks between her face and sorrow fills her eyes, 'My mother did this to you, didn't she?"

"It's okay, it doesn't even hurt." Cate says, looking down at her hands in her lap in embarrassment.

"I am so sorry, Cate. You don't deserve this." Elizabeth says, she makes the older woman look up at her to see the truthfulness in her eyes. The young girl kisses her lovers lips gently, showing her how much she means her words.

Cate pulls away and takes Elizabeth's hands on her, "My dear Elizabeth, you have no reason to be sorry. My only question is why you told your mother about us?"

"I didn't! I would never tell her something that could hurt people I love, let alone tell her I'm gay." the young girl says, Cate can tell she's telling the truth, it shows in her eyes and in her voice.

"I believe you, Love.." Cate whispers. She wants to say those forbidden three words but there's something stopping her. It's not that it's untrue but that she doesn't want to scare off the one person who makes her feel real.

"I love you, Cate." Elizabeth quickly says. She shuts her eyes in fear of her reaction. Cate just smiles a big smile, her bottom lip quivering.

"I love you too." Cate says, at those three words Elizabeth open her eyes and pulls the older woman in for a long passionate kiss.