⠀⠀⠀ Cyi watches him for a long moment, as if waiting for him to rescind the offer. He says nothing, and finally, that same little smile tugs at her lips.

⠀⠀⠀ "Thank you," she whispers. Her voice echoes the surprise in her eyes and rings with a deep, gentle gratitude that makes Mando certain of his decision.

⠀⠀⠀  BY THE TIME the Crest begins it's descent, Cyi is sitting stiffly in her seat. Her eyes are shut, but it does not fool Mando. Nervous of descents, he realizes. Why that is, he doesn't know. He understands that she doesn't want him to see, and says nothing.

⠀⠀⠀ Once the Crest settles, she breathes deeply. He does not see her open her eyes, but the little noise of surprise she makes tells him well enough that she sees the forest. In Mando's opinion, all the trees are a bit monotonous, but who is he to argue?

⠀⠀⠀ Det Mibeja. Duhiri's high deserts. Mountains in the east.

⠀⠀⠀ Perhaps she's never seen a true forest before?

⠀⠀⠀ As soon as the ramp is down, Cyi is out of her chair and running into the clearing. Mando follows her, green creature in tow. He watches her from the top of the ramp, the kid beside him. Her eyes are closed and she's breathing  deeply, face turned toward the sky. 

⠀⠀⠀I suppose the air is pleasant here, Mando realizes. Crisp, clean. It smells faintly of earth, of trees and mosses and life.

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi throws her head back and laughs. Not a bitter laugh, nor a wry one, but a shout of joy and wonder and relief. It startles him, because it makes him realize that it's been a long time since he's felt - or seen, really - those things. The satisfaction he feels in a job well done, he's familiar with. It isn't joy, though. Nor is the smug, greedy expression he's seen on many client's faces.

⠀⠀⠀ She's craning her neck back now, staring at the canopy above them. Her lips are parted in awe, her eyes wide and every few seconds, she turns to drink in another bit of green and brown and blue.

⠀⠀⠀ "It's beautiful," she's whispering. "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful." Over and over again, a prayer, and Mando knows the words are not meant for him. But they still brush something in him, a spark of her joy.

⠀⠀⠀ If he's glad, suddenly, that Cyi came with him? That she's not stashed away in some cold gray room? He can acknowledge that, and set it aside.

⠀⠀⠀ He lets her drink in the world around her, and waits.

⠀⠀⠀ WHEN THE SUN reaches its peak, Mando stands.

⠀⠀⠀ "I'm gonna go out there," he says, "and I'm gonna look around. It shouldn't take long. You stay here with the kid."

⠀⠀⠀ Cyi's eyes flash. "I think the crik not, chum," she says indignantly. "I'm grateful and all for the lift, but you are not in charge of me."

⠀⠀⠀ That's fair. "Alright," Mando concedes. "Point made. You're welcome to stay or go."

⠀⠀⠀ He turns to the kid.

⠀⠀⠀ "You, on the other hand, are staying here."

⠀⠀⠀ The kid coos happily.

⠀⠀⠀ "Now, don't touch anything." He starts for the woods.

⠀⠀⠀ A gurgle at his feet.

⠀⠀⠀ Mando sighs and looks down. The kid is there, staring up at him unblinking.