••••《 3 - Esqueleto 》

Start from the beginning

▪︎

☆ Scene Four – The Halloween Party: ☆

I pull my Laker Girl skirt down a bit, trying not to be to promiscuous and disgusting. Yasmine pulls out her phone and instantly begins taking pictures with Moon. Sam and I groove with the music. She explains dinner with Kyler at her house, a story I'd rather not hear and frankly find embarrassing. Yasmine suddenly calls for Sam and I, gesturing for us to get in and take a picture. Throwing a fake smile onto my face, I join in and take a picture. I won't lie, we do look pretty hot, but that's besides the point. Right after we take about seven pictures, Yasmine begins scrolling through her phone.

"Rosey, go get us some drinks from the food table. I don't want to go over, it's filled with dorks right now." Yasmine says, not even looking up from her phone. With a sigh and a quick 'okay,' I head over to the food and drink table. My eyes have their gaze on the ground, but once I look up and approach the table, I suddenly notice which 'dorks' Yasmine was referring to. Miguel and his two friends stand quietly chatting at the table, sipping at punch. I feel my eyes widen as I stand in front of the table and begin pouring drinks. I try to avert my eyes, but it's hard. I still feel bad about earlier in the day.

I let out a sigh of relief as I finish the fourth and final drink, but instantly feel embarrassed once more as I go to try and pick up the cups to carry all four of them back across the gym. I keep my eyes down, trying to figure out how I'm going to carry the drinks without spilling them and making a fool of myself, but before I can think of an idea myself, someone hands me a plate.
"Put them on here and balance them." I look up and see Miguel, smiling at me. "It'll make it easier. You still have to be careful though, you know?" I nod. "Let me help." Miguel exclaims and begins taking the cups from my hands and the table. I peek back at Yasmine, Moon, and Sam who are paying zero attention to me, thank God. I ease up, enjoying the moment. 

"Thank you." I smile at Miguel as he places the cup onto the plate and gently hands the plate over to me.

"No problem." Miguel grins, as I perfectly balance the cups. That's quickly ruined though, because just as if he knew I was trying not to make a fool of myself, Kyler shows up. He suddenly runs up to me – he tells me how hot I look and how beautiful I am, and begins grabbing harshly onto my hips, a little too close to my butt, and then squeezes me into his side. His hands dig into me as he harasses me, and the drinks in my hands suddenly splash onto my top, my chest, and the ice slides down under my shirt into my bra. I feel myself squeal a bit, and not a happy squeal.

"What the hell you doing over here with my pal, 'Rhea?" I look up at Kyler, feeling the drinks and ice seep into my clothes which gives me goosebumps, my eyes widen, and my heart races, feeling embarrassed and disgusted. I turn towards Miguel who looks worried for me. I look around and see people staring at me.

"Don't you have a date to be with. I don't think she'd like how you're touching me..." I say, trying to get out of the situation, but also not trying to sound mean. I place what's left of the drinks onto the table and lightly nudge Kyler off of me, feeling horrified by him touching me and treating me like an object. "Why don't you go get her and her friends some drinks while I go wash this off." I say, scurrying off in a panic. People part ways for me to exit, I keep my eyes glued to the floor as I run off towards the girls bathroom.

"Rosey!" I hear Miguel shout from behind me. "Rosey, wait!" He shouts. I turn towards him, my face feeling red hot, as if it's lost all color from pure embarrassment. "Do you need help? Do you want me to help clean up the mess?" I shake my head.

"No, I'm fine." I say, my heart racing and my mind all over the place. "It was an accident. I'm not sure he realized I was carrying drinks anyways." I just want it to be all over and forget about it, but Miguel shakes his head.

"Why are you defending him?" Miguel asks. Suddenly my mind goes blank. That question repeats in my head. Why am I defending him? I hate Kyler. "I've seen you in English, away from them. You're funny and kind and smart and you're full of all sorts of thoughts and opinions, but when you're with them, you're a different person. You brush off what they do to you, I mean, the way Kyler just put his hands on you and you don't care? That's sexual harassment, Rosey!"

"Miguel, it's hard to explain." I mumble.

"Does popularity mean that much to you?" Miguel asks.

"No, it doesn't, but it's a lot better then Kyler and Yasmine sharing every single one of my secrets. It's better then my sister avoiding me in school. It's better then being laughed at every day for a stupid rumor they'd make up about me." I shake my head. "I appreciate you trying to help, I really do, but there's nothing you can do right now. Maybe one day, but not today and probably not soon... Just, please, enjoy the rest of the party." Miguel nods slightly. "I'll see you in English on Monday?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"Yeah. I'll be there." He tries the best he can to smile at me.