Chapter 8: While Eating Lunch.

"It's you."

The sun was nothing more than an oppressive ball of light in the sky. Light cirrus clouds moved in the air, pushed by winds that barely touched the the surface. She heard the wind whistling silently in her ears.

Erkin turned to face her, his white shirt reflecting too much light onto her face that she had to shield her eyes. His face had the appearance of someone who rarely smiled.

He turned to face her before speaking with a flat voice. "It's me. Can I please talk to you?"

She shifted her plate to her right hand, tilting her head in mild curiosity. "About what?"

"About Friday."

Where the Wind Flows
Chapter 9: About Friday.

From the very first day she was admitted into high school, her goal had been clear: become the best she could in the four years she had in her hand.

She had left primary school with a total of 301 marks out of 500. It was not dismal or disappointing if anyone asked her and she would go as far as to say that she was proud of it. Even though she had not made it to the top ten in her class, she had achieved the average marks needed to enroll to a county-level high school.

When the time came, she enrolled into one of the most famous and well-known school in town, Excellence High School. While the school was known for yielding some disappointing results in the annual national exams, its ability to bring out its students' talents in co-curricular activities was unquestionable.

It was known for having the best football team in the Rift Valley and its rugby, volleyball and basketball teams were known for impressive feats. Long distance runners were known for having their roots in the school.

She had been disappointed upon arrival to the school and realizing that she found the school's infrastructure a bit underwhelming. The girls' classroom were old. The ceiling boards were missing which meant that she could see the wiring of the building. The floors had potholes, something she attributed to the habitual dragging of metallic chairs and lockers.

The mornings were cold, the afternoon heat bypassed the iron sheets. It was hard to focus on the evening lessons.

The girls only had six toilets compared to the boys' fifteen. It was understandable though. The males consisted of six tenths of the whole population and were more likely to dirty their toilets more often. They were a rowdy bunch after all.

The first year on high school had been a little troublesome. She was sure that it was the same for all the first year students. They had literally gone to a much higher level and no amount of explanation or warning could have prepared them for it.

She could remember all of the stories of how frightening life in high school was in the first year. The stories were of wide range. From bullies who could make you lick their shoes to teachers who would cane your buttocks until sitting was a nightmare, the stories were enough to make anyone see high school life as torturous.

Having experienced the life for a year, nightmarish was not the word she would use. The stories of bullying were ridiculously exaggerated because what she viewed as the highest level of bullying was the fact that senior students had the shamelessness of trying to hit on their juniors. The teachers' canes happened less frequently for her, a vigilant law observer.

The word she would use to describe the experience would be demanding. Eleven subjects as opposed to the seven she had in primary school, teachers expected the absolute best from them, trying to study under chaotic environments and finding a balance between everything she had to work with.