Flowers

It wasn't something Y/n gave much thought to. They had just gotten back from the Silverstone Grand Prix and, while Lando took a shower, she ran out to get food at the store. Usually the two would go out to party and what not, but, after a long weekend emotionally and physically, they had decided on cooking in the AirBnb for a slow, quiet night. Nonetheless, whilst she gathered ingredients for the chicken pasta she planned on making, Y/n passed the wide variety of fresh smelling bouquets the store had. She hesitated for a moment, wondering for just a split second if he would like them, but, ultimately, understood that it was a sweet gesture, so why not?

After that, she picked up the big bouquet of orange tulips and white daisies, and gave no more thinking space to it. She just propped them up in the cart and went on with her day.

Getting back to the rental, she opened the front door and shimmied through as she tried to balance the groceries in her hands. As if on cue, Lando turned the corner, black t-shirt clinging to his torso and biceps as his gray sweatpants hung low on his hips.

His eyebrows shot up at her struggling, "Baby! Let me help!" He said quickly as he took the multiple bags in her arms, leaving the bouquet in her hands.

Lando's eyes lingered on the flowers clenched in her fist, confusion on his face as he set the bags down on the counter, "Why did you get flowers? We're leaving this place tomorrow?"

Y/n giggled at her boyfriend's misconception, "No, love, they aren't for the house. They're for you!"

It was safe to say that Lando's confusion deepened as he turned his body fully to her and leaned his hip against the granite, "What do you mean?"

She walked closer to him, meeting him at the counter before wrapping her arms around his middle, "Yes! For you! Because you did so good today. I'm so proud of you, Lan."

With her arms hugging him and the bright orange flowers she was pushing into his chest, Lando was at a loss for words. Never had it crossed his mind that when his girlfriend walked in with flowers they would be for him, but, alas, here he was. He opened and closed his mouth as she smiled up at him before he began slowly taking the petals out of her grasp.

Exhaling a breath, Lando stared back into her eyes, "Thank you, darling." He didn't expect the intense wave of emotions that overtook him, but he began to tear up at the thoughtful gesture for the person he cherished the most.

Y/n's thoughts about this being nothing more than just a nice thing to him were quickly crushed at the small tear that flew down his cheek. Her smile faltered as her thumb glided across the wet cheek, "What's going on? Do you not like them?"

He shook his head aggressively, "No, no, I love them. I- I love you. It's ju- It's just I've never had anyone get me flowers before. That's a girl thing."

She quickly laughed at her boyfriend's comments as she continued stroking the soft skin of his face, "No, baby, it isn't a girl thing. It's an everyone thing. Everyone should get flowers at one point in their life, it's such a warm thing."

"Yeah, I'm learning that." Lando chuckled through his tears. His hand that wasn't holding the flowers held her waist as he leaned into her. His head fit in the crook of her neck well as he squeezed her tight, not knowing how else to thank her for providing him with a luxury in life he hadn't even known was just that, a luxury.

She ran her hands through his hair in an attempt to soothe his emotional state which seemed to work as he pulled back slightly to peck her lips, whispering, "Really, though, thank you, my love. I've genuinely never felt this seen before. Flowers with an 'I'm so proud of you' really makes it feel like you are."

She kissed him again as he shoved his head into her neck once more, "Well, I am. I'm so so proud of the person you are, the person you are turning out to be, and everything in between."

Yeah, that made him cry more.