01

Chapter 01: The Homecoming
***

"It's good to finally meet you, Saoirse, alam mo sanggol ka palang noon nung huli kitang nakita."

Imee was the first one to greet Saoirse with a welcoming hug. Saoirse can see the rest of the Marcos family smiling joyfully for her return.

Awkwardness enveloped Saoirse's whole body when Imee engulfed her into a tight hug, she never felt this welcomed her whole life.

"Likewise?" Unsure about her answer, Imee let go of the hug, noticing how uncomfortable she is. A lady wearing a red terno caught Saoirse's attention.

"Saoirse, this lady over here is the matriarch of the Marcos Family, she's also your grandmother, Imelda Marcos." Imee said as she assisted her mother.

Imelda was wearing a wide smile, a smile they never seen ever since their father died.

"W-welcome home, my dear!" Imelda exclaimed, engulfing Saoirse in a warm embrace. Saoirse just hugged her back awkwardly, caressing Imelda's back.

"I know you," Saoirse let go of Imelda when she saw Vinny standing with his brothers, everyone looked at Vinny, waiting for his response.

"You do? Teka, saan?" Vinny asked her, trying to remember when they last shared an interaction.

"Sa Bahay Kalipay, I saw you there, I left early that's why I didn't had a chance to say hello to you," Saoirse walked towards him, her face is still not showing any emotions.

Saoirse is a type of girl who didn't know what affection really is, other than Greggy, Clyde was the only person who see her smile.

"I don't remember, I'm sorry," Vinny apologized, unknowingly. "Of course you won't, I don't use the name Saoirse when it comes to things like that, I go by the name Via Benitez," Saoirse revealed.

"As in the Vivianne Benitez? Woah, hold on, teka? Really? Dad, she's the girl I told you about," Vinny said, surprise is evident in his face.

"Now you know, I can't believe we have a small world," Saoirse said in response, "I guess, Welcome to the family!" Sandro and his brothers, together with the Manotoc brothers hugged her tightly.

"Wow, this family sure likes hugging," Saoirse said, not amuse at all. She even manage to roll her eyes secretly.

"I guess, your not a person who likes to show any affection?" Michael asked her, his brothers nudged his shoulder. Saoirse could only rolled her eyes at them.

"I mean, hindi ka pala sanay sa hugs." He clarified, scratching his nape nervously, trying to avoid Saoirse's intimidating glares.

"I don't really hug people, unless it's daddy." Saoirse answered straightforwardly, looking around the grand foyer.

"Irene and your brothers will be delighted to see you!" Bongbong exclaimed, breaking the awkward silence. Saoirse looked at him, perplexed.

"Excuse me? Brothers? I don't think so, as far as I'm concerned, I am my parent's only child, I don't have brothers." Saoirse said, still in disbelief.

"I guess your father haven't mention Alfonso and Luis to you." Imelda said as they walk towards the garden. "Who are they?" Saoirse asked, sitting on a vacant chair in front of Imee.

"They're your Kuyas." Imee said as she place the tea set on the table.

"Kuyas? You probably got the wrong Saoirse, for the record lang po, not being disrespectful or whatsoever, but wala po akong kapatid, like I said kanina, ako lang po ang nagiisang anak nila daddy at nung kapatid mo, God, I can't even call her my mom!" Everyone was taken aback by Saoirse's sudden outburst.

"Well, that's not nice, your outburst is intolerable, if my cousin can tolerate your attitude, pwes in this household hindi uubra ang pagiging entitled mo," Liza reprimanded her with a motherly tone.

"Then don't tolerate it po, excuse me, I don't even know why I'm here." Saoirse walked out, living everyone shock by her sudden response.

"She's nice mom, baka naman nag aadjust pa siya kaya ganun yung reaction niya," Vinny said before grabbing his grilled cheese sandwich.

"Did I said something bad? I just told her not to be disrespectful, masama ba yun? Kahit pag balibaliktarin natin ang mundo, hindi nun mababago na nanay niya si Irene," Liza retorted.

"I mean tita, sixteen years is a long time, don't expect a teenager like Saoirse to be clingy to her mom, after all, she grew up without tita Irene beside her," Borgy said, defending Saoirse.

"Ngayon ko lang masasabi na sa situation ngayon, parang mas mananaig ang pride nilang dalawa kesa sa love nila sa isa't-isa," Simon said, looking at his cousin's figure inside the living room.

"Ano ka ba, Si, mag mommy sila, feeling ko nga mag papataasan sila ng pride eh, Tita Irene is cold and strict sa lahat ng makakasalamuha niya, Saoirse on the other hand, is mean and intimidating. Sa situation nila Pride ang nangingibabaw," Imee said while stirring her tea.

Meanwhile, Saoirse have decided to go to the hospital to pay her father a visit. All the revelations shocked her until now. She can't believe that she have two older brothers, she can't believe that she finally met her mother's family, and she still can't believe that there's a chance that she'll meet her mother sooner or later.

Looking at the view outside the car, Saoirse anxiously caressed her watched that her father bought for her from Hongkong. She's biting her lips unknowingly, her anxiety is striking again.

"Kuya Efren, can you stop by at 7-11, then buy me some water." Saoirse said, and the driver just nodded his head.

"Yung mga gamit ko ihatid mo nalang sa Marcos estate, I'll stay there until daddy wake up." Saoirse said without showing any emotion.

"Ma'am, doon na po kayo titira?" Efren asked her. "Hindi ko sinabing permanent, I  have no choice kundi doon mag stay, after all, Ms. Irene is still my mom, Atty. Vera said, hindi ako pwede mag settle on my own till I'm 18 years old." Saoirse said while looking at the road.

"Alam po ba'to ni Manang Luz?"

Saoirse stopped for a moment before answering. "She knew, siya nga yung nag insist na mag stay ako for the meantime sa side nung mother ko eh." Saoirse answered.

"Bakit hindi po doon sa side ng daddy mo?" Efren asked her. Saoise thought for a while, she's also asking the same question ever since she went to the Marcos estate earlier.

"I don't know, actually plano ko nga mag stay kay na tita Arlene, pero tumanggi sila." Saoirse said.

"Bago yun Ma'am ah, parang dati lang kating-kati sila makuha ka tapos ngayon tatanggi sila, pero mabuti na rin yun ma'am," Efren said before parking the car.

He went out to buy Saoirse's water. She was left in the car alone, still thinking what her driver just said. He wasn't wrong tho, eversince she was just a toddler, her father's cousin was so greedy just to get her or just to be close to her.

Now that her father is comatose, she anticipated that her Aunt Arlene will get her from her father, but no, it was the opposite, her mother toom custody of her.

For some reasons, she felt relief dahil makakalayo na siya from her greedy aunt. And she also felt a suffocation from the awkwardness because she have to deal with the family she haven't met at all.

...TBC...