Chapter 10

"Someone must be feeling better," Nathanial said, stepping into the study to find Nick sitting in his favorite chair, reading a book.

"It's amazing what you can do when you finally start healing up," Nick said. "Where are you off to?"

"I have a business dinner to attend at the hotel." he walked over. "Does my collar look straight to you?"

"From this angle, yes," Nick grinned.

"Stand up and check it," Nathanial said. "If you can come all the way downstairs by yourself, you can stand up for ten seconds and make sure I don't look ridiculous."

"You're in a suit, of course you look ridiculous," Nick chuckled. But he got to his feet and made sure Nathanial's collar was straight. "Now you look slightly less ridiculous. Who are you meeting for dinner?"

"His name is Gary. Guittard, I believe. He owns a chocolate manufacturing building down on Burlingame Road. He's wanting to build a storefront in town and needs some funding. I shall be the one to offer it," he chuckled.

"Chocolate?"

"Yes, chocolate."

"Alright," Nick shrugged, sitting back down. "I hope it's at least good chocolate."

"It is. Now, I should be back by eight o'clock. Mrs. Hanson will have supper for you shortly."

"Something a bit more substantial than soup, I hope."

"Yes, I'm sure it will be heartier than soup," he pulled on his dress coat. "Wish me luck, this could be a large account for the bank."

"Oh, thank goodness. You might finally come into some decent money," Nick said flatly.

Nathanial chuckled. "I think I do alright for myself." he said. "Now, don't overexert yourself while I'm gone. I don't think Mrs. Hanson wants to be carrying you up the stairs by herself."

"I'll be right here, reading." Nick said.

Over the next few weeks, life when on as usual. Nathanial went to the bank every day, as he normally did. And Nick continued to recover from the gunshot wound, as well as the infection he'd been suffering from because of it.

Mallory was able to keep up with her work at the dress shop fairly easily and when she finished early, she worked on a new wardrobe for herself. She had liked the skirt and blouse Morgan had purchased before leaving town and had made one just like it for herself.

"It looks so pretty on you," Mrs. Guthrie said when she tried it on one last time. "But I think you need a pair of nice boots to go with it instead of those shoes."

"You're probably right," Mallory said, checking her reflection in the mirror. "Do you have a cobbler you recommend?"

"Mr. Linus, over on 12th Street. He does excellent work and I have never had a shoe or boot that he made that was uncomfortable. Ever."

"I'll have to stop by tomorrow and see what he has to offer,"

"His prices are fair, too!" Mrs. Guthrie called as she returned to the back room to change into her own clothes again.

Mallory came back a moment later and marked a few finishing touches on the skirt. She would take care of it the following week when she was back to work. Mrs. Guthrie was already busy counting out her wages for the week and she smiled and let her know she would see her early Monday morning, as usual. She stopped at the bank on the way to Mr. Bishop's house.

"What have you got there?" she asked, when Mrs. Hanson let her in and she saw Nick opening a box in the sitting room.

"I ordered myself a new hat," he said. He pulled the black Stetson out of the box and carefully ran his fingers over the fine material. Then he put it on.