Chapter 2

The next morning, Mallory gathered her things. She kept her book out, just in case she needed a distraction, and she was about to leave her room to go down for breakfast when she heard Mrs. Cooper's boisterous voice coming down the hall. Her hand froze on the doorknob and she leaned her ear against the door to listen, waiting until she was certain the woman had at least reached the lobby before she dared step out of her room.

"Good morning," Mallory said, walking up to the desk and setting her key down.

"How was your room, Miss?"

"It was lovely, thank you." she replied.

"Wonderful. Breakfast is available now, and if you'd like to set your bag by the door there, the driver will load it up for you while you're eating."

"That's very nice of him, thank you," she replied.

"Have a lovely trip," the woman smiled.

She nodded with a smile, though she couldn't imagine her trip being anything close to lovely, and reached down to pick up her carpet bag. It was then that she realized there was someone standing behind her and she stifled a gasp as she straightened up, seeing that it was the fourth passenger. She gave a polite nod, despite the pounding in her chest and carried her bag to the door. She left it next to Mrs. Cooper's luggage and hurried into the dining room where she found a small table where she could sit by herself and eat in peace.

"Mind if I join you?" a deep voice asked a moment later and she looked up to see him again. She had noticed that the dining room was pretty full, and she couldn't blame him for not wanting to share a table with their traveling companions. "No, I don't mind." she said, managing to keep her voice level.

He took off his hat and pulled out the chair across from her. "I'm Nick Warren," he said.

"It's nice to meet you," she replied. "I'm Mallory Quinn."

"It's a pleasure, Miss Quinn," he smiled.

There were menus on the table and a waitress came shortly after to take their orders. It wasn't long before she returned with two steaming plates of food.

Mallory placed her napkin across her lap. "Are you traveling all the way to the end of the line?" she asked.

"Yes. To San Fransisco. You?"

She nodded. "I believe our traveling companions are on their way to Salem, so at some point they'll have to switch coaches and head north."

"I suppose that means only the last leg of our journey is going to be a quiet one then," he smiled.

Mallory laughed softly. "I think you're probably right. You don't seem thrilled at having to travel this way. I hope you're not going to San Fransisco for anything bad."

"Well, I wasn't planning on taking the stagecoach," he said. "I had my horse. A fine horse, too. Unfortunately, just before I joined you and your companions, I had to shoot my horse because he stepped in a gopher hole and snapped his leg."

She looked horrified. "Oh, I'm so sorry!"

"Well, I suppose I'll replace him eventually," he replied. "But there wasn't time. I have to be in San Fransisco by the first of next month. My brother is getting married and insists that I be there."

"I see." she replied. "He's very excited then?"

"He spoke of nothing else in his letter," he chuckled softly. "She must be something pretty special."

"I suppose there are plenty of men in San Fransisco, and all of California and Oregon, really, that are getting married these days." she said softly.