S1, EP 2: Temper

A/N: Canonically, Wolverine is 5'3'' because it's said to reflect his namesake; Hugh Jackman is 6' which is why Wolverine is thought to be tall by some people

Warning: language, violence, 1920's politic talk, prejudice against mutants, sexism, misogynistic comments

"This ain't no place for no heroes, this ain't place for a better man, this ain't place for no heroes to come home..." ~ Short Change Hero by The Heavy

It had seemed like Ada had not said anything as Y/N spent the next week without the police going and raiding her little apartment. Raids were common for mutants, just a ring to the police and within an hour, a raid of the home would be done and you'd be hauled off to the newest jail, ready to be prosecuted just for your DNA. They'd drag people out for the most ridiculous of things, but the most common were just accusations from other people.

She laid on her bed, trying to get some rest when she suddenly heard people screaming, shouting.

Sitting up and rushing to the window, she saw police dragging people out.

"Fuck", Y/N scrambled, knowing she had to get out.

She couldn't take any chances, she had to hide somewhere.

Rushing to get out of her apartment, she hopped out of the kitchen window, looking around as she jumped down from the roof onto the ground.

"Come on, Ada", she heard someone say as she ran the corner.

She saw Ada, the woman she helped, jump from a roof onto a mattress with a man helping her.

"It's you", Ada whispered at the sight of her. "Freddie, she's the one who saved me!"

The man named Freddie looked at her and paused.

"We gotta to hide her too", Ada insisted as Y/N tried to leave. "Wait, please! Let me help as a way to thank you."

"She's a mutant", Freddie whispered, "we can't help."

So, Ada did tell someone. Damnit, that's going to have been addressed later.

Ada looked at him harshly and he let out a curse before he said, "Come on! We got to move quick."

Ada ran towards her, grasping her hand and pulling her along.

Y/N wasn't sure why she let herself be tugged along with Ada, but anything was better than a beating. Freddie lead them to a apartment, knocking on the door and a woman opened it as Freddie declared that he needed a favor.

"Bloody hell, Freddie", the woman said, "it's a Shelby girl and... who is that?"

"A friend who needs help", Freddie said. "Just let them have a cup of tea until the police are gone."

The woman, Ms. Donovan stared at Y/N for a moment longer, her eyes widening.

"Something's not right with that one", the woman said, pointing at her. "And this one is a sister to those Peaky Blinders devils."

"And yet she is a angel", Freddie said. "Come on ladies."

Walking into the house, Y/N found herself sipping tea with this unknown woman, who stared at her before she said, "now I know what's wrong with you."

"Oh?" Y/N said as Ada shifted in her seat.

"My boy's a mutant too", Ms. Donovan said. "It's easy to spot them when you live with one."

"Or when you are one", Y/N said, Ms. Donovan looked at Ada.

"Your brothers are fine with you hanging around one?" Ms. Donovan asked, Ada looked away.