9 - Reunited

"So, you're letting me see Newt again?!" I exclaimed. Professor Dumbledore had just explained a very complicated plan that I would be under the invisibility charm to protect Newt and his team whilst on a mission to stop Grindelwald and his followers. Professor Dumbledore smiled and nodded. I smiled, laughed, happier than I'd been since Newt had been with me. I could finally see him again! I could finally hear his voice again! I could finally... be with him.

"You have to remember that Newt won't see you, or know you are there." Professor Dumbledore said. I nodded, more ready than ever to see my true father again. Professor Dumbledore held out his hand. "There's somewhere you need to be now, Lia." I held his hand, excited, and Professor Dumbledore chuckled, before Disapparating.

I arrived, alone, on a raft. I looked confused, before my confusion was replaced with amazement. Newt! Newt was here! On this very raft, with me! Merlin's beard! I wanted to hug him, but I knew I sadly couldn't. Still, Newt was actually here! I looked to where I saw movement from the raft, and it took everything within me to not laugh aloud as I saw Pickett on the raft too! I had never been so happy and relieved in my life!

We got to land, and Newt headed off, grabbing a lamp. I walked off too and followed him. He stopped suddenly, causing me to almost walk into him. I heard the soft moaning of a creature from further up the... mountain, I would've called it, and Newt must've heard it too as he said to Pickett excitedly: "She's ready."

I followed Newt up the mountain as I mulled over the only words I'd heard from him in 4 years. He still spoke the same gentle way, he still looked the same, he was just... Newt. He was Newt, just as I remembered him.

We eventually got to an open cave, where Newt smiled as we looked over to a land creature I had only heard of - a Qilin, part dragon, part horse. Newt approached the Qilin, and I did so too, excited. What was happening?

My question was soon answered as a fragile egg-like... something... emerged from the Qilin. I stopped myself from gasping as a baby Qilin emerged, swaying around unsteadily. Newt, who was laying against the mother Qilin to comfort her, smiled.

"Beautiful." He said, looking at the baby Qilin with awe. He got up and walked over to the case, opening it and looking back at the Qilins. "Right, you two." He said, smiling. "Now, the tricky bit."

We were disrupted from the loving moment as the mother Qilin was hit with a green light from a spell. Newt and I turned to see some people walking towards us. Newt cast a defensive spell, but it was useless against... was that Credence? I didn't have time to question it as the wizard broke through Newt's spell and started chasing us. Newt and I ran, Newt picking up the baby Qilin, who was crying out in fear. I wanted to grab the case, but remembered that I wasn't allowed to and left it there. I couldn't very well do nothing! I whipped out my wand and stood in front of Newt, running backwards as he ran forwards, away from the evil people. I cast multiple spells at them, but they dodged them, slightly confused, but I presumed they thought Newt was somehow casting the spells. 

I let out a quiet gasp as Newt was thrown into the water beneath us by a spell. I raced down to where Newt was lying in the water, motionless. I wanted to scream out, to kill the evil people, but I couldn't. I felt useless. I silently cried as the evil people took the baby Qilin and Apparated away. I watched as Newt slowly managed to get himself up.

I followed him back up the mountain to where the mother Qilin was lying on its side, clearly close to death. Newt looked on the verge of tears, and I myself couldn't stop myself crying silently. No. I didn't know what exactly I had witnessed, but I didn't enjoy it.

"I'm so sorry." I heard Newt say. I wanted to hug him. I would've, if I had the chance to. But I had to obey Dumbledore.

Newt and I looked in hope to where another baby Qilin emerged. Newt smiled at the mother Qilin.