Chapter 25

Wilda Quecorn Pov, August 11th 2020, 5:00 AM

There is nothing in this world that's more particularly odd than Brecken. Brecken Darmy was his full name, which he had the same last name as Kailani, meaning that they are probably related by the blood of Brecken's Father, which I soppose is the brother of Kailani, who I soppose is unmarried.

She acts like someone who is unmarried.

I don't know, I'm getting a vibe from her.

I awoke before Seaborn, so I threw a pillow at him.

His whole body rolled around underneath the white covers that he was under.

"It's early, isn't it?"

"Not if we find the medicine in time! Chances are, the Queen is still asleep!" I grab him and pull him from the covers.

To my insane guilt, Kailani is still asleep during this time, so I had to force her awake just to drive us. It seems insanely insensitive and pretty immature, so during the dark  car ride, I tell her, "Kailani, I know how hard you work to take care of your nephew, Brecken, Seaborn and I can learn to drive and get ourselves there."

Kailani looks through my eyes in the mirror again. "If you insist, but do it for you, not for me. I don't fully trust you, too, driving on your own. I already heard about the accident."

"Yes. That was my fault." Seaborn admits.

"Right, but you have the excuse of being from under the sea." Kailani points out with a delightful grin.

The truth is, she shouldn't be doing this for us. Even though Brecken is clearly falsely sick, and I would like to help him anyway.

That is absolutely crazy! Why would I help him anyway?

Seaborn and I walk slowly through the dark on the path we've been taking to the doors. "Are you sure we must do this?" He wearily asked. "Of course we must! Every day, too, until we find where the medicine is." I tell him firmly.

He suddenly stopped, so I stopped walking, too. "All this work and efficiency, it's just not good."

"Well, sure it isn't."

"It's not getting us anywhere, Wilda. We need to change our ways."

"Okay, we'll talk about that later, but first, we need to go do our CLEANING!!" So I happily took his arm and pulled him inside with me.

Azurine was seen sleeping soundlessly on the bottom step of the crystallized staircase. "Oh, Azurine, how can you fall asleep like that? Were you here all morning?!" I ask her.

Azurine rolled over and then opened her eyes slowly. "I was here all night."

"Why?"

"The pool in the basement was open! I cleaned it and took a dive... until my brother closed the lid and I had to crawl out." She says with an eye roll.

"You slept there?"

"I love swimming!"

"But your wings get all wet!" I exclaim.

Azurine gets off the stairs and stretches out her arms. "I guess I could've told you that." She sighs.

Then she gives me the dirty look. "What are you doing here?"

"You know, working."

"Mm hmm, mmm hmm, sure. Sure.

"Yes. Working."

"You two have something against me, don't you?"

She picks up her feather duster and starts dusting along the tall window glass where, unlike me, she can fly very high up, so much so that her voice becomes faint and echoey.