CHAPTER II

ADLEY

As expected, Charles took the checkered flag an impressive 38 seconds in front of the rest of the pack.

Regardless of his problematic attitude, Charles Leclerc was a beast of a driver. There was no question that he could drive and it was such a dynamic duo to have Charles and Ferrari in a partnership.

"I know he's good, but I wish, just once, he wouldn't win" Oxland groans.

We make our way down to he podium area to watch the presentation.

P1: Charles Leclerc

P2: Max Verstappen

P3: Carlos Sainz

and all the way down in P8: Lando Norris

"You know he's going to kill you for jinxing him right?" I mock toward Oxland.

She lets out a chuckle, "Let him try" she winks.

Secretly, I think Oxland has had a thing for Lando for a while now and visa versa, but the very fact she got burned by a Formula 1 driver before, makes him off limits to her. And the fact that she'd been with Charles, made her off limits to him.

"He's an absolute dick" Lando groans as he makes his way beside us.

"Isn't that obvious" we both chuckle.

As we glance up at the podium, watching Charles be announced and crowned the Imola Grand Prix winner, I can't help but roll my eyes in disgust. He really does get everything.

During the playing of the Monégasque National Anthem, Lando walks off in a scoff and pulls Oxland off with him. I'm left standing with the masses, watching them worship someone who's arrogance destroys his successes in his profession.

Crossing my arms in front of my chest, I glare up having my heart stop, and my chest fall into my stomach when he's glaring straight back at me, a huge smirk on his face

I turn around to check who else could be in his line of vision, but it's one of the mechanics from Red Bull and his attention is on the person next to him.

My head flicks straight back up toward Charles and he sends a wink in my direction.

I can't help but have my head shake in response. Sure, I could understand what girls saw in him. And guys too. Charles Leclerc had this way about him where every guy wanted to be him, and every girl wanted to be with him.

I understood the physical attraction. His head was well proportioned to his body, his face not completely troll like, and I suppose from what I had seen underneath that shirt, it was nothing to be disgusted over.

But, for me, especially, someone's personality was enough to completely cancel out their physical.

I force my head away from our impromptu staring competition, and begin to weave through the crowds back towards the garages to find Lando and Oxland.

"Gross, you stayed to watch that?" Oxland comments as I walk through the doors.

I roll my eyes at her, and turn my attention toward Lando. "Really great race today."

"Please" he scoffs, "this car seriously has no pace. I honestly hate being so slow when last year, we were top midfield"

"I know, it can't be easy. When do you bring the upgrades?" I question.

"Silverstone I'm pretty sure" he nods.

"Hopefully that'll improve something?" I shrug.

Unzipping his race suit, he steps out of it along with his fireproofs so he's just standing in the garage in his jocks.

"They have bathrooms for that" Oxland mocks.

Lando pulls a smug face at her, "I thought you'd like the show?" He teases.

"Eww gross. Not from you" she fake vomits.

I shake my head in amusement, because I can see the slight shade of blush covering her face.

"Suit yourself" he shrugs, pulling on a hoodie and some track pants.

My attention is drawn down to my phone with an incoming text.

- Sorry; I fell asleep.  How was the race? -  Lee

"Is that lover boy?" Lando gushes.

I flip him off as I turn my back to them, some sense of privacy to reply.

- That's okay. Yeah it was okay. Same old. My mate got 8th so he got a few points for his team ,which is good. How was your sleep? - Adley

"Are you guys coming out with us tonight?" Lando asks.

"Where's out?" Oxland questions, although we both know we'll be going.

"Just one of the local bars. They usually section it off for us"

I return to Oxland and Lando, "So much royalty" I tease.

"But seriously, if you guys are coming, you're going to have to change" he gestures to my outfit.

I pull my jacket from my shoulders, still fully covered in my one piece tracksuit, and tie it around my waist. "There, changed" I sass.

"We'll come, but you leave her alone" Oxland warns, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Yeah" I defend weakly, joining forces with Oxland.

"Please let me help you dress when you get to meet lover boy?" He begs pathetically.

"Any excuse to see her naked" Oxland mocks and I chuckle.

"You know, I am genuinely curious as to what she looks like under all of that" his arms wave around in front of me. "You could be 200kg for all I know. You could have green skin" he gush's dramatically.

"How'd you know?" Oxland joins in on the mockery. "She's Princess Fiona. You're a genius" as she pulls me away from Lando and out the back of the garage, although he follows.

Pulling out my phone just as Lando wraps his arms around each of us, forcing us to part, we make our way toward the paddock.

- worried now I won't be able to sleep tonight. Good to hear about your friend. Did that arrogant guy win again? - Lee

"What is Mon Beau?" Lando reads over my shoulder.

I quickly turn my phone away from him.

"It's nothing" I defend, just as Oxland pulls out her phone.

"It means My Beautiful One" she reads.

"Eww" Lando sasses.

"Shut up. He called me it the first time we spoke and I guess it just kind of stuck. I'm under that in his phone too" I defend.

"Okay Ad" Oxland mumbles.

"You guys don't need to understand it. This is my crush, let me live out it's cringy fairytale on my own" I sing out, holding my phone close to my chest as I run ahead.