Chapter 8: Unintentional

Start from the beginning

Toge found his phone, halfway dressed with his pants on and his shirt dangling from his neck. He opened his contacts and scrolled. Who was the best person to ask? His mother was the one who advocated the most for him to look for another mute person – she was always bringing up different women and occasionally a man who she knew didn't speak. His father seemed like the next obvious choice, but even he had his setbacks.

Toge saw a text from his father, "Hey, are you coming to the meeting today?" followed by, "Are you sick? I can have someone bring you stuff if you are."

His father was always the stoic type, so when he became more caring, it was always off-putting. They shared many weird moments of vulnerability. The first voice Toge remembered hearing was his father's, standing over him as he played with a nanny. He didn't know if there was a rule against everyone speaking around the house or what, but that was the distinct and clear memory he had.

"Son," Toge's father's voice was clear and deep even in the man's memory.

Toge sent a text back, "Dad, sorry. I meant to text you that I was going to be away today. But something came up that I need to talk to you about."

His father sent a quick message back, "It's okay. I pinged you thirty times. What's up? I'm alone; you can call."

"I'm not at a place where I can," Toge replied.

"Are you okay? Where are you?" his father said.

"I'm okay. I think. I don't know. I am with a-" Toge paused, trying to think about how to refer to Yuta, "I am with a friend. I was able to speak to him some last night, but it's gone."

"You were able to talk? Out loud? Was it Gojo?" His father sent questions in rapid succession.

"No, a new friend," Toge replied.

"Who are his parents? Are they Zen'in? Was it from that group Satoru is always on about?" His father asked.

"No, not one of the Zen'in. He isn't from blue blood. Yeah, we met in a group, but Dad, why can't I talk?" Toge sent the message and pulled the shirt over his head.

"I don't know. I don't know why you could in the first place. How long have you known each other? A year? Why haven't we met?" His father asked.

"No, only a few weeks. Like, two," Toge said.

"Really?!" His father sent back.

"Yeah, I don't know why either. I just kind of did," Toge left out details to avoid further questioning.

"Honestly, I don't know. Nerves maybe? Anxiety? Maybe it was a fluke? You should talk to Gojo," his father said.

Instantly after that, Gojo sent a text, "Your dad said you could talk to Yuta? Really?"

The white-haired man may have been intrusive and odd, but he was a psychologist. "Yeah. Now I can't."

"Is this related to Geto?" Gojo asked.

"Yes. He was here. I yelled. Then I could talk the whole night. Just one word every so often but still."

"Huh. Sounds like a stress reaction to me. Your brain must have clicked off and let you do what you wanted to. You did want to, right? Yuta didn't make you?" Gojo asked.

"Yeah, I mean, I needed to. He was crying and Geto was just being... himself. So I told him to leave," Toge said.

"How is Yuta?" Gojo asked.

Toge rolled his eyes, "He's fine. Making breakfast."

"Oh, good. I'm glad. I think he needs some space from me," Gojo said.