VIII

"I'm not used to all this water, love it's true."

-

me and sal sat in a circle with our 7th grade friend group. an empty milk carton sat in the middle on the plush green grass. summer was just around the corner. Josh went first, spinning it. it landed on Cassidy. he was so lucky they were already dating. Cassidy passed it to me. whenever I spun, it landed on sal. everyone ooo'd, making my face flush red. I rolled my eyes and looked to sal who had unbuckled the bottom buckle of his prosthetic. I covered the sides of his face so no one could see. I quickly pecked his soft lips. I hated pretended like I didn't want to kiss him.

-

ash picked up Todd, Larry, sal, and I up from the apartments. we were going to the mall cause it was free air conditioning on this scorching day. Larry had the best ideas. sometimes.

Larry sat in front with ash, blasting a sanity's fall CD. I sat in the back between sal and todd. Todd and I spoke quietly as sal stared out the window. he held my hand, rubbing his thumb along it slowly while deep in thought.

Larry began yelling at ash, as she had almost ran a red light. I did, too. I was not about to go to court with ash, thank you very much.

as we walked around the mall, sal had his arm wrapped gently around my waist. he occasionally zoned out, attempting to match our steps.

"we should take sal to the back of Spencer's." Larry giggled at his own joke, which wasn't really that funny, but I laughed along anyway.

sals eyes widened. "Uh -"

"erm, actually, we should try not to traumatize sal further."

"You guys act like I haven't been to the back of Spencer's before." he muttered.

"I'm sorry, what?" I whipped my head around to look at him.

"No, we should take all three of you to Victoria's secret." Ash tapped in.

"Oh my god, ash -"

"Yes!" Larry drooled, interrupting sal. I rolled my eyes.

we walked into Victoria's secret as promised. Larry pretended to honk whatever tits were on the mannequins.

"Oh my god." sal groaned once more.

"Larry, we are in public." I scolded, smacking his arm. I looked to ash. "That's cute." I pointed to a lingerie set on the wall.

"Oh, you're right. that's cuteee!" she squeeled.

I looked at sal, who was already looking at me with wide eyes. I winked at him. he laughed lightly and looked away.

we did as Larry suggested, but instead of forcing sal, we decided to traumatize Todd instead.

"Do you guys want to go get lunch? mom gave me money for it." Larry said as we walked out of Spencer's with a trembling Todd.

"Obviously, you're paying. I'm not turning that down." Ash smiled brightly.

ash and I spoke between ourselves while the guys argued about where we were eating. not surprisingly, Larry won. we were eating pizza and fries for lunch. ash and I went to select a table while the other three went to order.

"Y/n, if I tell you something that would ruin me and Larry's friendship, you wouldn't tell him, right?"

I looked at her like she was crazy. "uh.. no? that's a weird question."

"I have a crush on larry. I think I'm going to tell him when they get back." she blurted.

"ash, I don-"