"Uh... good morning?"

She turns around to face him, arching an eyebrow. "Good morning? Really? That's all you have to say after stalking me? Shameless," she comments calmly. He envied the way she could be so indifferent and collected.

He scowls. "How did you even detect me? And for the record, I was merely scouting the area. Never had I seen this particular river on palace grounds before and I've explored the whole area in my free time."

Shrugging, Hyewon turns back to the river, drawing swirls in the water with her index finger, "Your aura and energy is quite fiery and unique. It's very... loud and explosive. I suggest you learn how to mute your aura. And as for the river, maybe you missed it while venturing the area. However, I sense that this river was only created recently. A few years ago? Perhaps it was originally supposed to be an irrigation canal."

Riki folds his arms as he leans against the bark of a tree. He scoffs. "You call a few years recent?"

"Depends who you're talking to. To yokai, spirits, and gods, it's considered a short amount of time."

"I don't think you're a god. Or any of those other creatures you named."

She only ignores him. "I'm sure you're curious about what happened the other day. Sit with me," she gestures to the slab of rock next to her. "Unless you're afraid of getting your clothes dirty, Your Highness."

The prince huffs. But he couldn't squash his curiosity. Sighing, Riki took his seat on the rock. "So?"

"So?" Hyewon fixes her fierce, burning stare on him. "Do you know how incredibly stupid you were to leave the palace like that? No note, no protection, nothing! Have you lost your mind? At the very best, bring a guard with you!"

He snorted. "Like any smart guard who wants to keep his head would let the prince of the kingdom go to the villages on his watch." he fired back.

"Good! Then at least they have a brain!"

"Shut up. If you say anything else, I'm going to start thinking that you were worried about me," Riki leans in with a smug smile.

Silence.

"Wow, I actually did not expect that to work." He raises an eyebrow, smirking. "I'm flattered! So you were worried. I'm shocked."

The ravenette rolls her eyes. "Jerk." she mumbled.

"What did you just call me?"

"Jerk. Jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk-"

"What were we talking about again?" Riki interrupts. He snaps his fingers. "Ah. Your powers."

She casts a faraway look into the clear running water. "It's a long story."

He shrugs. "We have all day. I've got no classes."

"Very well." Hyewon placed down the stick she had been playing around with. "What do you know about the Chiye clan?'

Blinking, he cocks his head in confusion. "Chiye? Chiye family? Never heard of it."

"Interesting. It's quite a well-known clan. How about the origin of magic?"

That he knew. "It's a gift from the gods."

"Right. It's a common misconception that magic can only flow in the blood of men. Clearly, that is wrong. Take a look at your mother, the empress. She's skilled in water magic." Hyewon swirled the water gently, causing unnatural waves to curl in the river. "It is true that it favors men, preferably men of nobility, but it can also be found in commoners and even women, although it is a rare occurrence. Even if both parents have magic it does not guarantee that it will run in the veins of the child."