viii. denial

the next morning.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

my eyes feel puffy when i wake up. the first thing i do is check my phone. there are over hundreds of notifications from sal, ash, and larry.
the last text was from sal at 7 AM.

sal: i'm coming over.

a wave of panic goes through my body as i jolt out of bed. "shit," i say to myself, "shit shit shit." i check the time- 8:30. he could be here any minute. i've been trying my best to not text him but this is important.

y/n:
don't come over. please. that's the last thing i need.

i go to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. my face looks tired from everything that has happened.

bzz!

sal: i'm here.

goddamnit.

i put on a sweater and head downstairs, trying to not wake up dad. the door creaks loudly and it takes me a minute to realize how foggy it is.
"jesus christ," i mumble as i walk out of the house. the wind is cold and i can barely see anything.

except a figure at the end of the driveway.

great.

i can tell it's sal the closer i get. that's when i realize he isn't wearing his mask.
"sal?" my voice cracks.
he looks up right away and his eyes are watering. i know it's rude to stare but he's just so beautiful.

i don't say anything after that. i let the silence linger between us as he looks down again. "uh," he says, "i know you think i'm a monster i..." he's at a loss for words. "what i did... wasn't my choice. i mean, i guess it technically was but... i chose the right one."
i cross my arms in disbelief, "and why's that?"

he takes a sigh, "if i didn't... kill your aunt and everybody else then... the infection of the red eyes would spread across nockfell." i look at him, confused, "you expect me to believe that?"
"look, i know you won't and i'm not forcing you to but i just wanted to apologize. i'm sorry i never told you, i'm sorry i had to do that. i'm not wearing my mask so you could take a better look on what someone, who was trying to summon red eye, did to me"

my eyes begin to water as i look at him. he looks truly sorry but i just don't know if could believe him. "i..." i stop and notice him holding a polaroid photo, "what is that?"
sal holds up the polaroid, "it's a picture. of the red eye demon i... wanted to show you."
he shows me and my face goes white. it's a tall figure with red glowing eyes. my mind tries to process everything but it's too much.

"i gotta go," i begin to walk to the door.
"y/n! wait," sal calls out.

i don't respond and keep going towards the house until i'm inside and i can't see him anymore.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

i pace around my room thinking about the photo he showed me. could it be true? is he really telling the truth? i mean the fact that he got released says something...

"y/n?" dad knocks on my door. he opens it slowly and looks at me, "what's wrong?"
my heart starts beating fast, "sal's innocent."

he looks at me, concerned.

"what?"

oh my god guys i'm finally back from my break!! i'm so excited to be posting especially since i'm fixated on sallyface again :) also, i know there wasn't polaroid proof in the game of the red eye demon but since larry isn't dead in this fic, i couldn't use that. it's all made up and not following the game, mostly. thanks for reading, more chapters soon!!