ii. hangout

two months before college.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

"hey kiddo," dad knocks on my door. i take off my walkman, "what's up?"
"wanna grab breakfast?" he asks while shaking around the keys. i nod, "sounds awesome. be down in five!"

"can i please get some eggs with bacon?" dad reads off the menu, acting like he doesn't get the same meal everytime. i order my food and the waitress takes away the menus.
"so..." dad begins, "you ready for college? it's so soon. my little girl is all grown up."
"yeah, yeah i am actually. it's a new chapter," i grin. as we talk more, i notice on the tv, the apartment complex that aunt alicia lived in.
"i'm gonna use the restroom," dad says as he's getting up. as he leaves, i focus on the tv,

"...addison apartments murder...
they found a suspect but with proof and no evidence, he was freed. his name won't and will never be revealed."

my heart sinks.

"you okay?" dad slides back into the booth. i look down, "yeah. was just thinking about college."
"oh it's okay kiddo, we'll miss you too."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

i scan the room numbers at the boys dormitory. it's weird to be on their side of the dorms. "202... 205... ah," i say in relief. loud music blasts behind the door as i knock as loud as i can. i wait a minute to knock the second time. finally, todd opens the door, "hey, y/n! come on in." i smile as i walk in to the dorm.

"what is this music?" i yell. "sanity falls. it's their favorite," todd yells back. i remember larry talking about the band earlier. as we enter, larry and sal are both head banging to the song. i can't help but join it but from a distance. "is this what they do in their free time?" i ask. todd nods, "it's their thing. they have a good relationship."

as the song continues, larry eventually turns around, "ohhh sup y/n!" sal is still head banging, feeling the music. "hey larry," i say back. sal turns around shortly after and freezes again. "oh i didn't know she was here," he says embarrassed. i laugh, "y'all must really feel the music, huh?"
"oh yeah, when sanity falls is on, we can never stop," larry nudges sal.

he stands there awkwardly looking at me. larry turns around and grabs a blunt, "you want a hit?" my eyes widen, "woah, are you allowed to have that here?"
"probably not," he shrugs.
"i'm good right now," i respond.

ash barges in suddenly, heading towards me.
"y/n!!" she runs over. "what's up ash?" i ask. she pulls out a letter,

ashley campbell,
you have been moved to dorm 102.
your dorm mate is y/n l/n.
thank you

i raise my eyebrows with excitement, "wait, really? oh my gosh, yay!" she smiles and dances around, "i'm so glad we met. now we're dorm mates! oh, this is so exciting."
larry turns down the music as we all sit on the couch or beds. sal sits on the couch and i choose to sit next to him.

"so," ash says, "why did you want to go to college, y/n?" i think about that question for awhile.
aunt alicia went here when she was my age. she became a professor here as well, until she died.
of course i'm not going to tell them all of that.

"my aunt, uh, she used to go here," i reply quietly. "oh cool!" todd says. "yeah," i say, "she loved it so i thought i'd try it out."
"sick," larry says as he stares at the ceiling.
"if you have a question for us, shoot away," ash smiles.

i think of all the questions to ask. the one that comes to mind is 'why does sal wear that mask?' obviously i can't ask. "uhh, how did you all meet?" ashley looks at todd, todd looks at sal and sal looks at larry. they all begin to laugh then stop. "long story," larry chuckles. i laugh awkwardly.

i take a look around their room while sitting. i notice on one side, a red guitar. "oh shit!" i say, "who plays the guitar?" sal clears his throat, "oh that's mine." i turn around and smile, "really? that's awesome. i play the bass". his eyes widen, "you do?" i nod, "since i was young."
"cool," he responds.

as everyone is talking, our phones buzz.

all students,
everyone should be in their dorm by 5:00. this is so we know you know where you're going and that you get there safely.

i check the clock, "well damn. it's almost 5."
ash stands up, "we best get going then. todd gets up to go to his dorm as well. before i walk out the door, i go over to sal. "do you mind if i get your number?" he looks at me, "oh, sure!"
i hand him my phone and he puts his number in, "thanks. we'll have to jam one day!"
"that sounds awesome," he says.
we stand there for a while.
"well, see ya!" i say. he waves, "bye, y/n."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

"he totally likes you," ash laughs.
i sit up from my bed, "what?"
"sal! i've never seen him act that nervous around anyone else."
"that's because i'm scary," i say sarcastically.
she chuckles, "super scary. but no, i'm serious!" i roll my eyes and lay back down.

i know it's not true. he's probably nervous because i'm a new person? i'm sure he'll get comfortable around me soon.

i turn the lamp off on my side, "it's too early to tell anyway." i turn to my side as ash gasps, "oh my God, do you like him?" i laugh, "ash! sal and i just met. give me a break."
"whatever you say. you'll tell me sooner or later."
i laugh as i begin to fall into my slumber.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

i'm not trying to rush into a relationship
with you + sal btw!! but i want to make it obvious that he likes you and etc. :)

also omg, sal rides a motorcycle in this!