"Now, i will leave you boys, i'm going to see Esme"

-

"It's not fair" Esme sighed. "They're off drinking and shooting rifles and we sit here" she said. "Listen to the mugs swearing"

"Spitting on the bloody floor for us to fucking wipe up" she shouted.

"What's going on?" Lottie asked, placing her bag down. Lizzie looked up at her. "Without men here, they'd be like dogs pissing up the wall"

"I'm going to act like i know what you're talking about"

"I was just saying it's not fair" Esme looked at her. "The men are down there like lords,"

"Esme, just get on with it" Polly shook her head. "I'm bloody five months gone" Esme shouted. Lottie rubbed her shoulder. "Relax"

"Forgot the combination" Polly sighed. "24-8-22" Lizzie told her. "How do you know the paper cash combination" Polly asked.

"Tommy talks in his sleep" Esme says.

"Shut up Esme" Lizzie sighed. "She's right" Lottie defended.

"He's changed the combination"

Lizzie threw the pen down. "You've put it in wrong"

"No i have not"

"You been drinking, Aunt Pol?" Lottie asked, watching the woman stumble about. She ignored her. Esme sniffed cocaine off her hand and Lottie pulled a face, shaking her head.

"And actually, i am sleeping with Tommy, now and then. Because he wants to when the mood takes him" Lizzie told them.

"Right, Lizzie, nobody asked" Lottie said. Lizzie looked round.

"None of its fucking fair" Esme repeated.

"Where are the lads anyway?" Lottie asked. "Gone off for a meeting, somewhere private, they don't trust anyone" Lizzie said.

"Course they are"

Suddenly there was a bang on the door. Polly went to open it, revealing Linda. She placed her hat down. "Arthur said you'd be short staffed today because they are on a works outing"

"You mean a meeting?" Lottie raised an eyebrow.

"I brought sandwiches and lemonade i made myself" Linda placed the basket down. "Well done, want a fucking meddle?" Lottie whispered.

"I'll make tea and empty ashtrays but i won't handle money or slips" she nodded.  "Arthur says what you do here is illegal but not immoral"

"Why you here then Linda, will god not be angry with you?" Lottie mocked.

"Depends what time you get here Linda" Esme sighs. "And anyway i thought i'd offer you my physical and spiritual support in your time of need"

"What's she talking about" Lottie asked her Aunt.

"Oh Linda if you want to be a help, run up to the shops and get me twenty senior service" Polly asked. "Lizzie will give you the change" she chuckled.

"No i won't"

"Actually i'll use my own money, Polly. And before you ladies decide to find me so amusing, i have a message for you"

"Oh god no Linda" Polly grabbed her head. "I've been to church already"

"It's not a message from God, Polly. It's from Jessie Eden"

"Who's Jessie Eden?"

"She's the lady shop steward at the Lucas factory in Sparkhill."

"Lady shop steward?" Esme asked. "She's bringing all the femal workers in the spot welding and wire cutting shops  out on strike for the day. A protest at being made to work on a holy day. Poor conditions, lack of holidays, unsanitary lavatory provisions"

"And lower pay for female workers"

The door banged. Lottie groaned, refusing to listen to them any longer. They all walked out together, men queuing outside and frowning as they walked away.

More woman joined as they walked down watery lane.