"Hey, Ev. Hey, I get it. Just... please don't get mad at me if I make another suggestion. You know I didn't get you a birthday present? Maybe I could buy these shoes for you as a belated birthday present."

Everett bit his lip, his face still tense and tinted red. After a moment of deliberation, he nodded. "Okay. It can be a birthday present."

"Or I could make it into a Christmas present," said Marty with a teasing smile. He laughed at Everett's indignant glare. "Just kidding. I'll sneak you some pigs-in-blankets for Christmas. Or maybe pigs-without-blankets since Jewish sausages don't have blankets."

Everett nudged Marty forcefully in irritation, which only made Marty laugh more. Man, he loved winding up his best friend.

*

Monday was the ideal day to try out his new outfit, Marty decided. The first day of the sixth form week was always depressing, the atmosphere in the classrooms like a prison as its inmates contemplated their sentence to five long days of study. What better way to break free from the chains of boredom than to contravene the dress code?

Denim jacket, skinny jeans, converse shoes. A debonair smirk. This was what greeted two hundred stunned sixth formers and teachers as Marty strode into morning assembly. Everett broke into a beaming grin; Jade hid a smile behind her academic planner; Hassan shook his head tiredly. Lucy, who his eyes flicked over to like she was a firefly in the night, was staring at him with a look of approval that made him dizzy with delight. The other popular kids were more vocal, hollering "Atta boy, Marty!" and "Double denim, dude!".

Unfortunately, the teachers were vocal too.

"Marty Pocock, your attire does not align with our sixth form standards. Go home and change into something more suitable," said Mr Porter coldly. Any other student would have submitted to the Head of Sixth Form's authority – but not Marty.

"What, you think I should miss out on valuable education time to go home and put on different clothes? I thought you cared about our education."

There was a collective gasp in the assembly hall; Mr Porter reddened. "You know very well that your education is my greatest priority. Wearing smart casual wear is part of that education, teaching you to take pride in your appearance and prepare for the world of-"

"Can't I take pride in my appearance whether I wear something smart or not?" interjected Marty.

"Well, yes, but-"

"And my clothes don't impact my ability to learn, so I don't see why I need to change them."

Marty thought he'd made an astute point, and was very pleased with himself. He went to take a seat at the back –

"I have some spare uniform in my office that should fit. As clothes don't impact your ability to learn, as you said, you shouldn't have a problem with me telling you to change into them."

Damn. His logic had backfired on him. Desperately racking his brains for a way out, he stuttered, "But – but it'll be too small for me - the uniform only goes up to year 11."

To Marty's surprise, Mr Porter grinned. "You were in year 11 only a few months ago, and you haven't grown much since then. I'm sure something will fit. Mr Sanchez will escort you to my office."

Thoroughly annoyed at this turn of events (and at his lack of growth spurt), Marty trudged up the stairs behind Mr Sanchez, regretting his decision to dress in double denim. He could have been wearing one of his comfy polo shirts and trousers that weren't too long, but now he would have to wear a school shirt and trousers that would probably not quite fit. He would be seen as a year 11, looked and laughed at, standing out like a traffic cone in all his classes. Then again, Lucy had noticed him. Lucy had smiled at him. Perhaps she had even thought that he was super hot. So he resolved to bear his burden like a martyr.

*

"Please, please can you give me your jacket?" Marty begged Everett. "I need something, anything, to cover up this stupid year 11 shirt that has a stupid missing button."

"Okay, it's yours!" said Everett. When Marty had put on his jacket, Everett ventured to ask a question. "Did your lessons go well?"

"Of course not! I was so self-conscious of my shirt and too-long trousers that I could barely take anything in. Not to mention the sniggers and whispers."

"People can be such dickheads," muttered Everett under his breath.

"I'm pretty sure Lucy was laughing at me - and flirting with Byron, too."

"I thought she liked Jayden..."

"Not anymore, I guess. Last time I talked to him, he said he never wanted to talk to Lucy again. Maybe something went wrong between them."

At this moment, Hassan and Jade came over to their table. No, wait, it wasn't Jade - Jade didn't wear a hijab - it was Habibah. The two were talking about various books they'd read.

"Hi, Habibah! How are you?" said Marty.

"I'm great, thanks. You?"

"I'm doing fine. What subjects are you studying? I'm sure Hassan told me at one point but I forgot."

And so the friends settled into a comfortable conversation. Everett and Marty shared a few surprised glances, awed that their shy friend had come out of his shell to make a new friend. Marty's mind went to his relationship predictions back in September. Maybe it wasn't too late for Hassan and Habibah to become a couple. Now that they shared a class, their love story could flourish like a cherry blossom in spring.