vii - [🌼] bug like an angel.

so this oneshot is just like a backstory hc thing for isen

it's like all ocs besides isen

(this ties in with mixed messages)

song is bug like an angel by mitski

tw: implied(?) physical abuse, alcoholism.

~

There's a bug like an angel stuck to the bottom

Your ex-husband's dead. You still loved him. Even if you had an affair or six with a different man. Dexter was your first love. You had his kids. But you cheated on him. Because Ronnie was just irresistible. You almost got away with it, until you got pregnant with his kid. Immediate divorce. Split custody of Isen and Izzie. You loved his anger. You loved how much he cared. You loved how he fought for the kids. But Ronnie was more.

Of my glass, with a little bit left

Ronnie being there didn't change a thing. Dex was dead. And your kids were in pain. Isen had seen his heart stop. The kid activated his damn ability. It was the same one Dexter had. It was rare for kids to have their father's ability, and the twins both defied that. Now it felt like a sign.

You knew Isen didn't like Ronnie. You never knew why. He hated living with you guys full time. He didn't even like Irene that much. You chided him over and over again.

"Irene is your sister," you would say.

"Half-sister," he would correct.

As I got older, I learned I'm a drinker

You drank it away. The grief. Your son despised you. Your first love was dead because the man didn't know how to drive a damn car. Your oldest daughter had to comfort you. Your youngest didn't understand why the neighbors gave her odd looks. You had your husband, but he was working almost all the time. You were struggling.

Sometimes, a drink feels like family

Dex's brother offered to take the twins over summer and winter breaks. Emmett was a lifesaver, sometimes. He knew Isen's resentment for Ronnie, but you couldn't separate the twins. Caring for one child was easier than three.

Family

Ronnie got mad sometimes. He would hit. Never with his ability, though. He would apologize, and you took it. You understood. Sometimes feelings were difficult. You loved him. He loved you. You saw how you grieving over a past love could hurt him.

Hey, what's the matter? Lookin' like your sticker

You knew Isen liked boys. You didn't know if he liked girls, too, but you would see his face turn red as you used your ability to mimic "hot men" to tease Irene. You didn't know how Ronnie felt about that. You never asked. You didn't think it'd be an issue.

Is stuck on a floor somewhere

Irene was the affair child. She had her father's hair, but your eyes and ability. She was an angel. She got sick often, and it hurt your heart. You would play with her soft blue locks as she rested on your lap, waiting for the healer to arrive. Sometimes you wondered if this was your punishment for adultery. Your child falling ill almost weekly.

Did you go and make promises you can't keep?

You remember at your wedding, you kneeled down and fixed Isen's bowtie. He was seven years old. He asked you if Ronnie was always a nice man, if Ronnie would love him too.

"Of course," you whispered. You squeezed his hand and wrapped your pinky finger around his. "I promise."

Well, when ya break them, they break you right back

One day you came home earlier than planned. You quietly entered. You were going to surprise Ronnie. When you walked in, you could hear him in the living room. His voice was a low growl. You never heard him speak like that. You peered in, staying quiet.

You saw him and your son. You saw his eyes glowing. You felt your heart break. Ronnie never used his ability on you, so why your son?

Amateur mistake, you can take it from me

Ronnie was stronger than you. He was nearly a god-tier. He was the strongest person you'd ever met. You were only an elite. Even Dexter wasn't that powerful, just edging on high-tier status.

They break you right back

You couldn't do anything about it.

Break you right back

You called Emmett that night, asking if he would mind taking Isen and Izzie during their breaks once they started high school. He asked you if you were sure, knowing they both were going to boarding schools. You said yes.

When I'm bend over wishin' it was over

You spent the next morning stroking Irene's hair. You knew Ronnie wouldn't hurt his own blood.

Makin' all variety of vows I'll never keep

You remember Izzie asking you a question before she left for her plane. She asked if you would stop drinking. You remember giving her a half-smile, tied with a nod.

I tried to remember the wrath of the devil

You knew you were lying. With the state your life was in, there was no way you would quit.

Was also given him by God

You lie awake each night, asking yourself where you went wrong.

~

word count: 829