Your faithless love's the only hoax I believe in

Começar do início

The aristocrat laughed derisively. 'Says the woman who had my Phoebus's name written in her cards! Who proudly called the bag holding them her "secret".'

'And now she has beguiled the good judge as well,' Diane remarked. 'I always told you, friend Fleur. She is an enchantress. Let us not bother. It is your banquet, and you should not worry your mind.'

'You are correct,' agreed Fleur. 'It is best for good women to stay away from such people.' Saying this, the ladies walked away to the other guests, not sparing Esmeralda another glance.

She felt her cheeks burn from her own stupidity. Why hadn't she called Fleur and her snobbish friends out? "So much for being the confident belle." She just waited for Frollo to return so they could leave the event.

--

The proctor pulled Frollo in an empty corner of the mansion. 'What are we going to do with Maximilian's offer?' he whispered.

The judge took a good look around to confirm that no one was there to hear them. 'It depends on what happens between him and the King.'

'I spoke to some close associates of the King,' Charmolue said with seriousness. 'They are signing the treaty at Arras. Just a few days to it.'

Frollo's eyes widened slightly. 'That is too soon.'

'It is! That's why,' he lowered his voice again, 'I want to know what our next course of action will be.'

Frollo grew silent, pondering. The proctor waited.

'Let us meet him tomorrow. We will see. Do not worry, Jacques, I will not do anything foolish with such a huge discovery.'

Charmolue's muscles relaxed a bit. 'As you say, Monseigneur. I shall leave now. Enjoy the banquet.'

He retreated towards the gate. Frollo sighed deeply. If Maximilian was honest and the plan worked, his success would be unprecedented.

As he walked back into the hall, his mind fantasized about Esmeralda getting to know of it. Surely then, multiple women would want to be with him. Even more than the captain. Esmeralda would then realize how fortunate she was to have him be smitten by her.

But the scene in the hall cut his string of thoughts.

--

As it turned out, Bérangeré had in truth not gone to her chamber. Far from the dancing aristocrats, she was still peeking at the fascinating Romani girl lacking a goat. On seeing that she was being watched, Esmeralda finally left her chair and picked up a tart from the table. It wasn't like she had anyone else to talk to. She walked to where the child was.

'Would you like some sweet, child? she inquired.

Bérangeré took up the treat without second thought. She said between munches, 'Aunt Amelotte told me to stay away from you. Or else you will kidnap and eat me.'

'I do not believe that your godmother would let me live if I did that.'

'Yes, she won't. I am not your little goat. And goddad Phoebus will make sure that you are burned.' The seven-year-old smiled mischievously.

Esmeralda returned the smile. 'Fair girl, who taught you of such things?'

Just then the child leapt up. 'Goddad Phoebus!' She ran across Esmeralda, behind her. A man said wearily, 'Bérangeré, you should be sleeping right now.'

But Bérangeré pulled her godfather forward. 'Goddad, you must see this! It is the pretty gypsy girl!'

Esmeralda turned around. Captain Phoebus had left his handsome uniform behind for a cotehardie today, held by an elaborate kirtle and a jeweled belt. He stood in his tracks, stupefied.