Your faithless love's the only hoax I believe in

Start from the beginning

Frollo squinted his eyes, then realized what the proctor meant. 'Of course, Jacques. I will be back in some time,' he told Esmeralda, before setting off with Charmolue to seemingly another part of the mansion.

Now alone, Esmeralda listened to the song and ate whatever was served. Her mind laughed at herself for what she had thought earlier. This was very different than her expectations. After seeing what she had, it was foolish to even think that the Parisians would ever think positive of her.

Just then, a child of around seven came running into the hall. Dressed in a pretty, ruffled frock, she had a big tiara on her head. Esmeralda felt like she had seen the girl before, but was unable to recall where.

The child ran about the hall corner to corner and passed several dancing guests, before stopping at the table and staring. Staring particularly at her.

'Who are you, child? Where are your parents?' questioned Esmeralda, smiling. The child kept staring, then jumped at once.

'The gypsy dancer from the square!' she exclaimed.

'I am.'

The child came closer to the table, searching all around. She started making rounds. 'Where is the goat?'

Oh. She now remembered where she had seen the child. She was there the day when she had come to the Gondelaurier mansion. She had been the one to take the bag containing letters of Phoebus's name and throw it on the ground for everyone to see. See and denounce.

'Where is the pretty goat?' lamented the child.

She smiled cordially. 'She is...no longer with me.'

'But she was so lovely!' the child cried, offended. Then her eyes narrowed with suspicion. 'Did you eat her?'

She was caught-off guard at such an accusation. 'What makes you think that?'

'Bérangeré! Don't run off into the crowd unattended,' an irritated voice scolded.

She looked behind her. Fleur-Dy-Lys was coming towards the table, also wearing a floral crown, besides a brightly-dyed navy gown and shining brooches to hold her veil. Three friends the same age followed. Coincidentally, the same friends were present that day as well.

'Godmamma Fleur!' Bérangeré yelped in joy.

The group halted. 'It is the gypsy!' shrilled one of the ladies.

'Why is she here?' worried another.

Esmeralda kept sitting there, not knowing what to do. Without answering any of them, Fleur made her way across the table, grabbing the child's arm. 'I have told you so many times to not talk to strangers. Come on.'

'But godmamma, she is the dancing girl with the goat!' Bérangeré protested.

'Go with Amelotte to your chamber,' instructed Fleur, giving the child to one of her friends. A reluctant Bérangeré was taken by Amelotte to another room.

The rest of the noblewomen surveyed Esmeralda. 'Are you here to put the evil eye on this marriage, gypsy?' asked one.

The bride scoffed and turned to look at Esmeralda with a face that revealed sheer hatred. The girl shuddered a bit from that face.

'She has been up to a lot since when we saw her, Diane. Apparently, she found her way to the court, and then to the gibbet. Everyone believed that she deserved to get hanged, but she saved herself by soliciting to first the misshapen bell-ringer, and later the Minister of Justice. Who knows how many more.'

Diane opened her mouth in horror.

'Stop lying!' hollered Esmeralda. 'Why do you hate me so? I did not come here by my accord. If I could, I would never see your face again!'