Chapter 4

Welcome Party

As the clock strikes eight in the evening, the warm rays of the setting sun cast a golden glow over the Tenpa Campus. Josefine steps out of her house, embracing the tranquil atmosphere that surrounds her. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps draws her attention, and a boy with dark curls emerges from a sleek Mercedes, his face lighting up with joy as he approaches her.

"Babe!" he exclaims, reaching her side with a beaming smile.

"Hi," Josefine responds, her own smile radiant as she welcomes her boyfriend's embrace, basking in the affectionate moment.

"I missed you," he whispers, gently releasing her from the hug and planting a tender kiss on her lips.

"I missed you too, Bryce," Josefine replies, her happiness evident in her voice as she gazes into his eyes.

Their sweet reunion is interrupted by the presence of a girl with bright pink hair, her locks styled in playful ponytails, who stands by the waiting car, casually sucking on a lollipop.

"Alright, lovebirds, let's go," she calls out in a lively tone, prompting Josefine to giggle before swiftly heading to the car. As she opens the door and slides inside, she is surprised to find her brunette friend, already seated behind her.

"Stacy, I thought you had already left?" Josefine inquires with a hint of curiosity as she turns to face her friend.

"As if she would ever walk there," the girl with pink hair, Hayley, interjects, earning a glare from Stacy.

"Shut up, Hayley," Stacy retorts with a sigh.

"You shut up," Hayley counters, matching Stacy's energy.

Confused by their sudden bickering, Josefine asks, "What's going on with you two?"

However, neither of her friends offers an explanation, leaving Josefine to ponder the cause of their disagreement. As Bryce takes his place in the driver's seat, Josefine turns back around, her mind filled with questions and curiosity.

"Let's hurry. I want to beat them today," Bryce says, starting the engine with the radio playing loudly.

The car gracefully departs from the Tenpa Campus and begins its journey down the forested street.

"Uff, Bryce, this is way too loud," Josefine comments, lowering the volume. Bryce places his hand over hers with a smile, expressing his preference for the loud music.

"I like it this way," he says, his eyes locking with hers.

"Stop it. Eyes on the road," Stacy interjects, and Bryce chuckles while Josefine smirks.

"No need to be so angry, Stacy. What's up with you today?" Josefine inquires with concern.

"Probably on her period," Bryce teases, causing Josefine's smile to fade as she looks at him with confusion.

"Why would you say that-" Josefine begins, but is interrupted by Hayley's sharp remark.

"Shut up, Bryce," Hayley snaps angrily.

Bryce continues to laugh, but Josefine's attention shifts as she notices two figures on the road ahead. She squints her eyes, trying to make out their identities.

"Isn't that Matteo Garcia? I thought he was in prison. Is he coming back to school again?" Josefine asks, peering at a boy skateboarding alongside a girl riding a bicycle.

"People like him shouldn't be allowed near the Academy," Bryce grumbles, his annoyance evident as he expresses his disapproval.

Hayley and Stacy, seated behind them, also peer out the car window to catch a glimpse of the boy as their car passes by.