Chapter 2

"Cela, you bastard." Rain glares at the display screen in front of him. "You were supposed to be my friend." 

Cela looks decisively uncomfortable at this, "I panicked when I heard P'Phayu was on his way. I really am sorry, Rain. That's the reason I wanted to talk to you."

"Why me, I mean, of course you shouldn't have done that to anyone, but why me in particular?" Rain asks. He is genuinely curious about this. 

"I really just wanted to help you, to be honest. You just seemed so depressed after Lan and sort of like you were drifting. I just wanted you to have a nice experience, I just didn't expect you and P'Phayu to be so compatible." Cela says. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Rain asks. 

"Rain, buddy, I will tell you a little secret. Our mating bonds are usually pretty weak and easily broken at the beginning. Over time, they become stronger. Sky told me that you and P'Phayu formed an immediate unbreakable bond. That is really rare, like the stuff of our fairy tales, rare." Cela says. "In human terms, it's like finding your soulmate." 

"So you didn't intend for me to get kidnapped and carted off to an alien planet. That makes me feel so much better," Rain says sarcastically. 

"I really didn't, I even went to talk to Sky and P'Pai, thinking P'Phayu would have good grounds to break the bond himself when he found out. I have been told he didn't want our bond in the first place either, and he certainly wouldn't want a bondmate that pulled such a trick. You would have gotten your rebound sex and realized there were much better fish in the sea than your ex, wins all around." Cela says, giving Rain a charming smile. 

"Except that's not what happened," P'Phayu says, coming up behind Rain. "If you had just been honest with me, I wouldn't have tried to separate you and your human mate. Rain wouldn't have had to be caught in the middle. Your parents will be hearing every detail as soon as we land.' He puts a hand on Rain's shoulder, a gesture Rain actually finds comforting. 

"P'Phayu," Cela whines, "they'll kill me, bury me, exhume the body just so they can kill me again. Please don't tell them. Please."

"You should have thought of that before you played such a low handed trick." P'Phayu says coldly. 

"Rain, you're still my friend, right? Please talk him out of it." Cela tries a different tactic. 

"Goodbye, Cela," Rain says, pushing the button Sky had shown him to end the call.  

"Why are you here?" Rain asks P'Phayu. He's been here five days, and he has barely seen the alien at all. Despite P'Phayu claiming they needed to share quarters, he hasn't once slept in the room either. 

"I thought you might like to have dinner together." P'Phayu says. 

"Why would I want to?" Rain asks. 

"Oh, aren't you going to make me fall for you?" PPhayu says, taking his hand, "You should have dinner with me in case it makes me fall for you faster." 

Rain can't find fault in that logic, five days, and he has no idea how to make P'Phayu fall in love with him. 

Rain never wants to admit, even to himself, how pitifully lacking in relationship experience he is. He and Lan had known each other since they started school together. There had never been a time when Rain had to flirt to win Lan over the other boy who had just sort of always been there. Being with Lan had just been easy. Maybe too easy. While what had been between them had been nice, he had known more passion in one night with P'Phayu than in all his years with his high school boyfriend.