"Gentlemen, today we are not fucking about, i hope you've all obeyed instructions and brought loaded firearms with you"

They all replied with a yes.

"Good, you will all know that if you are lifted on a racetrack these days, with a loaded weapon, you get 20 years" he stated. "That's all right, today you won't get lifted. Because today there will be no coppers around to lift you"

"At exactly three o'clock, there will be an incident in the owners enclosure" Lottie sat up straight, realising this was what he was taking about to John a few days prior.

"All the coppers on the track will be diverted, all of them" he nodded. "They'll be looking for someone"

"You'll be free to operate at will"

"Looking for who?" Arthur interrupted. "Me, they will be looking for me" Tommy told him. "Now while the coppers are busy with me, you will make your move in Sabini's pitches"

"You confiscate his takings, destroy his licenses and you do it at gun point" he instructed. "He usually has police protection so he won't be armed"

Small grins appeared on each of the boys faces.

"We should aim to complete the takeover without a shot being fired, understood"

A takeover, that's what it was. And that's why Lottie had made him promise that if they were doing something dangerous, Isaiah wasn't to be involved.

"Remember, the licenses are more important than the takings. All right before the fun begins" he stepped onto the floor. "You can all lay ten bob on Nom De Guerre, i hear she's going to win"

"Only beer before hand boys" he reminded them. "Plenty of time for rum and whisky after"

"And remember, do not make a move until three, that is all"

"What are you going to do that every copper at the Derby looks the other way?" Arthur laughed. Tommy lit a cigarette. "Trust me brother" he patted Arthur's back and returned to Lottie.

"Fixed races, a takeover. You never fail to amaze me brother" Lottie sat back, waiting for the van to begin moving.

-

Tommy offered his arm to Lottie as they walked up to the stairs. She took it and watched the people around her.

She watched as people stood around the bar and people placed bets, most of them drunk. "I have something to do, stay here with John and Arthur" he whispered, disappearing toward where the horses were being kept.

John and Arthur walked over to the betting station.

"Put this on Nom De Geurre" John told the man, sliding him money. Arthur stood behind him, his head facing down.

Lottie watched as Sabini walked in, men behind him.

"There he is" John said quietly. "Fucking meatball bollocks" Arthur said. "All right let's go" John said, placing a hand on Lottie's back. "For christ sake, fucking Sabini" she hissed.

"Mr Shelby" one of the policemen nodded as we walked outside.

"What is Thomas doing" Lottie asked. John looked down at her. "Checking on his horse" he said. "And that woman who looks after the horse" Arthur winked. "May Carleton" Lottie asked, "heard of her"

"Finn" Arthur pointed, looking at his younger brother. "Stay with Lottie, you two aren't to do anything unless your told"

Finn nodded and sat down beside his sister.

-

"Tommy" Grace startled Tommy as she crept beside him. "Grace what are you doing here"

"I have to talk to you"

He looked up at the soldiers at the top of the stairs then at her. "Grace, this is not a good time." he placed a hand on her arm, taking her away from the stairs.

"Whatever it is grace it'll have to wait"

"It can't wait. It wasn't me who was at fault. I'm pregnant"

His expression dropped. "The baby is yours"

"But he'll believe? Make your husband believe that it's his" Tom nodded, "is that what you want me to do?"

"Grace, i seriously have things to do"

"It's not worth the toss if a coin this time, Tommy?"

"Grace i have things to do, when they are done, i will decide" he whispered. "When will that be"

"After the race"

"After the race? After the fucking race, Tommy"

"When the race is over, i will decide what to do, Lottie and Finn should be somewhere, go find them, they'll keep you company"

-

"So what work do you want me to do for you today tommy? Write notes on a meeting" Lizzie asked sarcastically.

"No lizzie you're not here to make notes,"

"My short hand won't be required?" she asked, growing frustrated. "Lizzie," Thomas began, lighting a cigarette.

"There's a man here, and i need him separated from the crowd and taken to a quiet place"

Lizzie shook her head, "A quiet place"

"Lizzie i know what i said-"

"Yeah, you know. You know you told me i shouldn't do that kind of work anymore"

"I just need you to isolate him is all" Thomas looked down.

"No exceptions you said" she stared at him. "I have drawn a map all right" Tommy let out a breath.

He placed the paper on the table. "Of exactly where you need to take him"

"For months i've made no exceptions because you told me not to Tommy"

"Lizzie..just keep him busy at the place marked with an X" he said, "and i'll get to you before it can start, i promise all right"

She shook her head, many emotions flooding through her. "Mustn't smudge my eyes, he might not like that" she said angrily. "Lizzie this is the only time"

"After this, never again" he assure her. "I'll pay you an extra five-"

"Do not talk to me about money now" she scoffed. "Not right now i swear i'll break this glass in your eye" Lizzie threatened.

Thomas cleared his throat.

"No exceptions there's been no hardship, you know why?" She asked, Tommy put his attention on her again. "Hm?"

She shook her head.

"Doesn't matter" she sighed "Who is he"

"To your right, soldier" Tommy said quietly. Lizzie looked over her shoulder to the man in uniform.

"Smoking a cigarette, just be alone with him at three, when the race starts ill do the rest. Yeah?"