𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝘀𝗶𝘅

Start from the beginning

Yifan agreed heartily, "That is true. Crown Prince Go Won has always held affection for Gaeun. He would never say no to her."

"Why are you saying it like that?" Gaeun smacked his elbow and scowled. Lord Park was sensible enough to not comment though his eyes did narrow into slits. "I could ask," she said, lackadaisical. "I could make up some excuse about wanting to see Wook's constellation tab." Yifan couldn't help but let out a faint scoff that everyone ignored.

"We are investigating one of the members of the Unanimous Assembly," Lord Park said, "considering the ice stone. We require solid proof that Jin Mu is in possession of it although I fear even if we were to try to prove it, he will have Jinyuwon's support."

Master Thao shot Yifan a discrete look and he shook his head so slightly that Gaeun almost missed it. He hadn't returned to Jinyuwon in the past few weeks, having been preoccupied with the investigations and exercise drills and whatnot. Even if he had, Lady Jin had made sure that he wasn't privy to her schemes.

Once dismissed, Gaeun parted from her friends and made her way across Songrim grounds, taking a shortcut to the Crown Prince's personal palace. She happened to pass by a group of mages, their weapons swung on their shoulders as they laughed and chattered rambunctiously. One of them spotted her approaching and signalled his colleagues who immediately shut up. They couldn't, however, contain the glee in their eyes and the matching ear-to-ear smiles that they wore. The mage in the middle seemed to be carrying something that flashed bright under the late morning sun but Gaeun was too much in a hurry to care.

To her surprise, she spotted Go Won's retinue surrounding the red-roofed pavilion overlooking one of the training courtyards. The prince himself was lounging at a tea table, beaming as if every single wish of his had been fulfilled that day.

His guards bowed and moved aside when Gaeun strode up to the wooden stairs. Go Won stood up to welcome her and she paused, finding his merry mood a little strange. He gestured at his eunuch companion to leave them.

"Twenty paces away from the pavilion and turn your backs," he ordered the guards before clasping his hands behind his back and addressing Gaeun. "You're a little late, I'm afraid," he gave her a close-lipped smile and she thought that she had made the right choice by giving him the moniker Steam Bun. "You missed the show."

Gaeun scanned the now-empty fields and asked, "What show?"

"Your husband lost again. This is his—hmm...fourth loss in a row. Given his performance so far in the duels, his win against me seems like a fluke."

"I don't...I don't understand," she frowned. "What duels? Wook didn't tell me anything about this."

He raised his eyebrows in mild surprise. "Is that not why you are here?" He asked, "I assumed Jang Wook might have called you here to show off. He is really desperate to win the bet."

"What bet?" Gaeun's stomach churned. She understood the reason behind the guilt and shame on Wook's face at once. Again, the voice in her head taunted, again. He screwed up again.

Go Won reached for his sleeve and held out the green jade rings in his palm, the gold dragon and snowflake on them gleaming in mockery at her. Gaeun didn't react. Everything about her went still as she lowered her gaze. She felt a cold emptiness where she expected Jooyong to say something. There was an odd numbness, a sense of futility that washed over her.

It's better if you hear it from me. I'll find you tomorrow.

"This is Imperial jade, is it not?" The Crown Prince asked, still not sensing Gaeun's stolidity. "Jang Wook's maid wagered these rings and said that if he doesn't win a single duel out of the ten he must fight, then I shall get to keep these rings. They're beautiful. Excellently crafted. However..." He tilted his palm a little, "the dragon sigil is yours so these must not be ordinary rings. Are they important, Your Grace?"